Converting Le Mans to Sport

Guzzirider

With the spread of chronic obesity from the USA into UK, I have decided that for the sake of my Rosso Corsa's health, it will go on a diet.

First step is to ditch that ugly but effective fairing. Have sourced a headlight (from a Ducati Monster) and ordered the headlight brackets for a V11 Sport which amazingly are in stock and will be with me next week, together with the 2 spacers that go in to the recess each side of the headlight.

Could do with some suggestions as to which indicators to use- any ideas as which ones to fit that look good and don't involve fiddling with extra relays?

As for mirrors I was thinking of getting these:LS hindsight mirrors. Anybody have any experience of them? Will probably order them for my Monster too.

Am also stripping off the pannier racks and luggage, together with any other unnecessary brackets I can find. I think I will be able to raise my Mistrals higher now that the pannier racks will have gone.

The airbox will be going and separate filters arriving, even though I may lose a horsepower because of this.

Would love some lightweight wheels but they are out of my budget for the meantime.

I'll posts pics when I am done.

Guy

First step is to ditch that ugly but effective fairing. Have sourced a headlight (from a Ducati Monster) and ordered the headlight brackets for a V11 Sport which amazingly are in stock and will be with me next week, together with the 2 spacers that go in to the recess each side of the headlight.

Guy

Any plans to sell the fairing? I'm in the market and have stuff to trade.

Clearly, you'll want to replace those red valve covers[1]; I've got some nifty black ones I'll trade you, straight up... :D

[1] 'Cause, as everyone knows, red is regular light that has been shifted to a longer wavelength because the item is moving away from you. This is why the fast guys always paint the front of their bikes blue and the back end red, so that it's moving faster as it approaches the bystander, and faster again as it recedes...

;)

. . . First step is to ditch that ugly but effective fairing. Have sourced a headlight (from a Ducati Monster) and ordered the headlight brackets for a V11 Sport which amazingly are in stock and will be with me next week, together with the 2 spacers that go in to the recess each side of the headlight. . . As for mirrors I was thinking of getting these:LS hindsight mirrors. Anybody have any experience of them? Will probably order them for my Monster too. . . .

I too am interested in doing this mod. I have the cf mini fairing just waiting in the box, but have yet to get the correct size headlight and brackets. Take good notes, as I will be bugging you this winter. :grin:

I ordered almost $2,000 worth of goodies from these guys when I had my priller, and have bought a few things since then, since many of the aprilia bits fit the guzzi. They are really good guys. I bought the CRG ready recessed bar ends just for this mod when I go to the mini fairing.

Okie:

You can use the small LeMans headlight with the cf fairing. That's what I used in the first edition of resurrecting my crashed Billy Bob. It looked fine, and actually the small headlight throws a much better beam pattern than the larger Sport headlight. There are pictures somewhere on this site. If you really want the larger one, I may have one on the shelf, in chrome, though. I also have the CRG mirrors on my bike and love them.

As for the headlight brackets, the only ones currently available are silver. That's what I used; I just sprayed them black. I think we have a set on the shelf at Moto I. Looks like you have a cf dash plate. All you need is the right-angle plate, and that was available last time I ordered one, about a month ago.

And if you don't want your LeMans fairing, I'm in the market . . .

• 1 month later...

Done the deed today- was pretty easy. I bought a used BMW R850R headlight which is identical to the Bosch V11 Sport unit but completely chrome rather than half plastic, half chrome.

Took about 2 hours in total to do the conversion- had to put the Le Mans headlight connectors inside the BMW unit and I have used V11 Sport headlight brackets which fitted perfectly.

Only problem is that the bottom of the LM fairing has rubbed some paint off the Ohlins, which is now exposed.

Now need to give it a good clean and polish, and nip down to my local bike shop to buy some indicators.

Will use the same sort of Motrax bar end mirrors that I have fitted to my Ducati then I will be sorted.

Guy :helmet:

V11naked002.jpg

V11naked001.jpg

• 4 months later...

It has taken me a while to find some suitable mirrors for my now naked V11. Criteria was that they must look good but also work! I tried some Motrax mirrors but these gave a really crap view so in the end have fitted some aftermarket mirrors designed for a Buell XB9S.

I bought them from Trojan Horse. Price is a reasonable £14.89 each. As you can see they look pretty sleek, have loads of adjustability and fit well. Look much better than the butt ugly standard V11 Sport mirrors! Rear view looks pretty good too.

Buell mirrors

Buell.jpg

Buell3.jpg

Buell2.jpg

It has taken me a while to find some suitable mirrors for my now naked V11. Criteria was that they must look good but also work! I tried some Motrax mirrors but these gave a really crap view so in the end have fitted some aftermarket mirrors designed for a Buell XB9S.

Buell2.jpg

Instructions for replacing mirrors:

1. Remove petrol tank....................

;)

Seriously, a nice alternative to stock.