Bodging...

Martin Barrett

There are times when we are forced to adapt a tool or other item to suit another purpose. There is a subtle difference between ingenuity and bodging.

Ingenuity – using a socket as a bearing drift

Bodging - using a chisel as a screwdriver

I am a bit of a Bodger

My permanent repair on my tekno rack

IMG_0969.jpg

Tomorrow I will making a temporary repair using two Jubilee clips and a coke can over the blown out gasket between the balance pipe and header pipe, whilst waiting for the gaskets to arrive.

Picture to be posted later

Do you have any examples of ingenuity or bodging that you are prepared to share here

There are times when we are forced to adapt a tool or other item to suit another purpose.

Do you have any examples of ingenuity or bodging that you are prepared to share here

45820[/snapback]

Sometimes, when there isn't a Moto Guzzi to hand, I use a car instead. I know it's naughty, but it can get you out of a hole.

BTW Martin. We can tell that you are a bit of a bodger by the way that you slapped that monstrous sized photo into the site. :grin:

It's the 'chisel where a screwdiver would work' attitude that's so endearing, Martin.

I'm afraid I suffer from the same affliction to some degree. Mostly, I limit my bodging to zip ties. Love 'em.

J

only 210kb thou , will slim it down

45837[/snapback]

NO, NO! Don't do that! You would undermine the whole ethos of this thread.

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

I like the way Guzzi bodged the relays by fitted siemens units- obviously a temporary measure!

:grin:

45847[/snapback]

'til you replace them with paperclips

Guest ratchethack

Very nice bodge indeed, Martin. I've found that a Journeyman Bodger with J-B Weld, duct tape, electrical wire, and a few tie-wraps can make a trip of several thousand miles without carrying any spares - without worry of being stranded. Now, A Master Bodger can own a Guzzi for many years without buying any "non-consumables" at all... :luigi:

Myself, I'm an aspiring Journeyman Bodger. Looks to me like you're more of a Master. :notworthy:

I'm a West Coast Yank. However, I understand spanners, bonnets, boots, and banjo unions, but please forgive my ignorance - what's a Jubilee clip?

Ratchethack

Guest MotoMessiah

In my previous air cooled VW days there was always a problem with this small metal plug that would pop out of the stock carburetor whenever it would backfire (when didn't they) from bad timing, etc.

Impossible to find the plug, but it's slightly smaller in circumference than a dime. Which is what I would use, first grinding down the edge on the pavement by rubbing it back-n-forth till it fit in the plug hole. And then a little jb weld to make sure it stays.

Guest Thundering Subash

I am definitely a bodger. Mainly from either a cost savings or convenience stand point. The distributor cap on my '97 Chevy truck is currently being held on by one screw (one side is busted out) and nylon tie wraps. 10,000 miles and holding. Cost of a new distributor, $350.00. Cost of a bodger job holding it on with nylon tie wraps, priceless.

btw, I wish they would bring back the old style retainer clips on distributor caps.

:mg:

-Chris

Ratchethack's list is pretty comprehensive,I'd only add stainless steel lockwire and tinfoil and you have all you need. Many years ago, I was unfortunate enough to be employed as a mechanic in a construction/haulage company where stores and supplies were virtually non-existent, and your imagination was all you had to repair a truck at the roadside. memorable bodges include topping up the sump of a truck which had lost most of its oil with water to get it off the motorway; using 4 jubilee clips and a piece of the radiator hose to join a severed main air line; topping up a dry battery with screenwash;windscreen broken en route to vehicle test centre[would have failed] solution-remove screen- pass test-drive home-fit new screen. I could go on but I dont want Martin having nightmares. Back then [the 80's] if you had a job you held on to it with both teeth.