Pirelli Diablo versus Avon ST

al_roethlisberger

..... am about to order some new tires, and wonder if we've got any long term mileage and handling comparisons between the Pirelli Diablo and the Avon ST AV 45/46.

I am leaning toward the Pirelli simply because of the rave reviews here with regard to handling. Even though the expected mileage on the Diablo is less than the Avon, it has sounded like the Diablo on "lower powered bikes"(as opposed to a FJR, Hayabusa, etc) ... seems to last quite a while?? Experiences?

And of course, Pirelli has their new Pirelli Strada ST tire as well, but I've *really* heard next to nothing about this tire since it is so new :huh2:

Does anyone have any observations to add?

Some relevant threads:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=954&hl=pirelli

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=4015&hl=avon

al

Al,

I still love the way the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's feel. Nimble handling, grips hot or cold, wet or dry, even wear and has a nice ride, plus I have over 3500 miles on them and they are about 1/2 worn. I have pushed these tires hard also, rode two up and hit the triple digets a few times when I rode with the Ducati ST May Madness rally last year. Yep, even the Duc owners were looking at my tires :notworthy:

The Avons are a hit with the Ducati ST riders but I have not tried them yet and I don't know if I will since the Diable Corsa's work so well for me.

Mike

Mike, just curious....

Are (m)any of those miles highway? Just curious how the center is holding up, and where the miles were accumulated.

3.5k on the softer Corsas(than the regular Diablo) sounds pretty impressive, and I wonder if that is because of the lower power of our bikes as compared with some of the "big boy" Sport Tourers out there :huh:

I wonder how long the regular Diablos will compare to the mileage you are seeing with the softer Corsas... hrmm.... obviously better, but I wonder at what factor.

al

I do have alot of highway miles on the tires, probably about 50/50 on highway and the twisties. I rode to Arizona last year on them from the Bay Area and also to a few other rallys. I just looked and the center section of the tire just has a hint of flatness to it. Not bad at all :race: . I have talked to other riders and they have the same experence with good mileage of the the Corsa's.

I talked to Iron Butt rider Gary Egan (loves the Avon tires) at the Ducati ST rally last year and he say's that riding style has alot to do with how a tire wears. For example how hard you use your brakes, how easy you are with the throttle etc. He is really good with the throttle and brakes and does get very high mileage out of his rubber.

I tend to replace the tires every 1 to 1.5 years no matter how many miles I have on them just to make sure the tire compound is sticky. Meaning I do not trust aged tires for grip. I am not really interested in a high mileage tire. I would rather have a sticky performance tire that might save my butt, if things get out of hand.

Mike

Mike, just curious....

Are (m)any of those miles highway?  Just curious how the center is holding up, and where the miles were accumulated.

3.5k on the softer Corsas(than the regular Diablo) sounds pretty impressive, and I wonder if that is because of the lower power of our bikes as compared with some of the "big boy" Sport Tourers out there  :huh:

I wonder how long the regular Diablos will compare to the mileage you are seeing with the softer Corsas... hrmm.... obviously better, but I wonder at what factor.

al

46404[/snapback]

Guest Brian Robson

I have the Avon ST on the back and initially this tyre was the best in the winter rain BUT as the tread has worn (10,000 Km and about 1/2 the tread is gone), so the grip in both wet and dry has deteriorated to the point where I will go back to an 020 on the back and 014 on the front. The 020 is much maligned at times, but for me it wore well, lasted 16-18,000 Km and retained its profile well. :2c:

I talked to Iron Butt rider Gary Egan (loves the Avon tires) at the Ducati ST rally last year and he say's that riding style has alot to do with how a tire wears.  For example how hard you use your brakes, how easy you are with the throttle etc.  He is really good with the throttle and brakes and does get very high mileage out of his rubber. 

Mike

46405[/snapback]

With that philosophy why would somebody bother riding bikes at all? Riding bike like a woman just to save on tires? Some guys I will never understand.

Better for him switch to electric scooter or maybe a car even :2c:

With that philosophy why would somebody bother riding bikes at all? Riding  bike like a woman just to save on tires?...

With tolerance & understanding he brought peace where there was discord....

or is that the other way round? Each to his own eh Janusz - perhaps this guy is a retired endurance racer taking it easy but could whup your ass in his sleep - or perhaps he's on welfare - or perhaps he goes 10k miles at a sitting & doesn't want to be changing tyres every 5 minutes - Why dis someone for their ways when the do no harm to you - I don't understand it.

Tyre mileage is entirely dependant on how any one person rides, so the only meaningful comparison is going to be with different tyres used by same rider in same circumstances.

I've got Diablos, I like them. Good grip, handling & even wear. I get 3k miles to a set mostly sports riding. Mike, have you tried ordinary Diablos? How do Corsas compare? Was thinking of going to Corsas - but thought mileage would be silly & heard they're not good in the wet? Don't know the Avons.

KB :sun:

Hey Al,

I'm just curious why you narrowed your selection down to two tires, the Avon and the Pirelli. When I need tires I will probably also consider the Metzler M-1 in the mix along with the Avon and Pirelli. Curious as to why you nixed Metzler.

Joe

KB,

I have not tried the Diablos yet, I have used the Metzeler M1's and liked them also. I think they are like the Diablos. The Corsa's just feel alittle better. I can't explain it, but my seat of my pants likes them :grin: .

Mike

I've got Diablos, I like them. Good grip, handling & even wear. I get 3k miles to a set mostly sports riding. Mike, have you tried ordinary Diablos? How do Corsas compare? Was thinking of going to Corsas - but thought mileage would be silly & heard they're not good in the wet? Don't know the Avons.

46421[/snapback]

I dunno,

Try reading about Gary Eagan and ask yourself if he needs a electric scooter. Better yet do the math and figure out his average speed and lets see who rides a bike? Maybe just maybe he is gentle with the throttle to make it across the country with out wanting to waste time finding tires.

This concept has proven to be very successful, and many, many records have been set in our brief existence. While all the records were significant, one of the most notable of these is Gary Eagan's unprecedented breaking of the 1900-mile/24-hour barrier. In 1995, Gary Eagan of Salt Lake City, Utah rode a total of 1932 miles in 24-hours, accomplishing this incredible mark without the aid of auxiliary fuel due to the failure of his auxiliary fuel system at approximately the 310 mile mark.

Or, http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthameric...tml?newsId=5701

Mike

With that philosophy why would somebody bother riding bikes at all? Riding  bike like a woman just to save on tires? Some guys I will never understand.

Better for him switch to electric scooter or maybe a car even :2c:

46420[/snapback]

I've heard good things about the Metzeler as well(owned by Pirelli), but simply based on feedback here and on the ST forum, the Pirelli and Avon seem to be favorites.

....BTW, I just went ahead and ordered the Diablos(not Corsas) and we'll see how it goes.... $219 delivered, a pair from swmototires.com :thumbsup:

al

I usually buy my tires from European Motorcycle Accessories (EMA) in Plesanton California. I pick them up to save on shipping since they are just over the hill from me. They come out to the same price that you paid but then there is the good old California tax :huh2: . The plus is I have them in my hands sooner so I can mount em up. :bier:http://www.ema-usa.com/tires/tires_pirelli.shtml

Mike

....BTW, I just went ahead and ordered the Diablos(not Corsas) and we'll see how it goes.... $219 delivered, a pair from swmototires.com :thumbsup:

al

46467[/snapback]

I know nothing about Gary Eagan as such and do not have any reason to doubt about his accomplishments.

It seems I misunderstood your statement, Mike, and just tried to express my frustration with some people who compromise their enjoyment with so nonutilitarian pastime like riding a bike for sake of saving few dollars on extended tire life, substandard oils, filters etc.

That,s all. No malice.

....In 1995, Gary Eagan of Salt Lake City, Utah rode a total of 1932 miles in 24-hours....

On the road???? That's averaging 80mph - hat's off to the man.

...why not stay with tried and true Bridgestones which IMO are the best suited to our bikes ?...

Tyres have to suit the rider at least as much as the bike. We all have different demands. BT's don't suit my riding, I found they don't have enough grip, give very poor turn-in, wear unevenly & don't give significantly better mileage than Diablos. That's not to say they don't suit you, we all ride different - but would you put em on your R1?