Sooo Al, did you get your bike back?

Mike Stewart

Heh Heh... you know, I was almost hoping no one would notice my brief comment about getting the bike back, so I could avoid this question right away :P

Why? ....well, I just picked up the bike last night, and only had a chance to ride it around for about 30min, for a good heat cycle. And with the new cam/rings break-in to be accomplished, I didn't get onto it really hard yet, as it's only got about 30 miles on it since the rebuild. I plan to try to get another brief ride in tonight, but we are just so busy with remodeling the bathroom and packing, well.... :unsure:

So, in combination with the brief ride last night.... the truth is, I haven't ridden this or any bike for literally 6 months... and so... I really can't honestly say if I can tell a difference yet :huh2:

Now, that being said, the bike is waaaay smooth, and runs up very quickly. That much is very noticeable. Again, noting the "6 month issue" ... I does seem better in that regard. The idle is great, and it really accelerates like hot stink(at least as far as I can push it right now).

So, I'll have to report later as I get some more miles on the bike and really can open it up. I also will run it by Hare Racing after said miles and get the map updated, but I have to say it runs great as is, so there may not be much room for improvement, but we'll see.

But even with all the delays, and little pitfalls, it looks like Moto Italiano finally got the bike back together well, and took care of everything. The bike looks and runs great, and they went out of their way to make things right :thumbsup: We all just wish it hadn't taken so long of course.

I can say I really like my new CRG levers, and the new Diablos are very nice as well :bike:

BTW, what pressure are you running in your Diablos Mike?

al

BTW, what pressure are you running in your Diablos Mike?

al

51748[/snapback]

Al,

I am running the suggested Guzzi tire pressures of 32 to 33.5 psi front and 35 to 36 psi in the rear. I use the higher pressure when riding two up and or with bags.

Mike

Al,

Were did you get the Megacam from and how much was it?

Did you have to replace the lifters as well?

How much off was the balance of your engine?

Which pistons did you go with Mike Rich or FBF?

Any other mods done when the engine was apart?

I think everyone would like to hear results!

Thanks,

Mike

Al,

Were did you get the Megacam from and how much was it? 

I got everything from Mike Rich: http://www.mikerichmotorsports.com

I don't recall what I paid for the cam, but his pricing on Megacycle cams is $417 according to the website.

I think he gave me a bit of a discount though, since I ordered several things at once.

Did you have to replace the lifters as well?

Yes, since it was a new cam, Mike recommended new lifters. I think they were a whopping $50 though :P

How much off was the balance of your engine?

Gosh, I have no idea. In the rush of finally getting the bike back, I forgot to ask. I'm not even sure that after 6 months ago(when it got balanced), anyone would even know anymore :rolleyes: I'll ask them if they have any data when I talk to them next week.

Which pistons did you go with Mike Rich or FBF?

Mike's pistons. Although there have been various photos posted, I can't really comment on a comparison between the FBF and Mike's, but I can say that Mike's seem to be exceptionally well crafted.

Any other mods done when the engine was apart?

I think everyone would like to hear results!

Thanks,

Mike

51769[/snapback]

Nope, that's about it.

- 800-620x9 Megacycle Cam, - Street Grind. 258° Duration, . 400" Lift

- Mike Rich "Performance" Spring Kit (Springs, Titanium Retainers, Lower Platforms), required for the cam

- Mike Rich "high compression" pistons, also lighter than stock(although I forget the specifics). They are 10.25:1 "true" but mine should be somewhere between that and 10.5:1 due to his previous head work.

- Engine balanced, and crank cleaned up, as there was some minor scoring on one of the bearing faces.

Unrelated to engine mods, I also picked up some new Pirelli Diablo tires, and new CRG levers, which the former really helping with the comfort of the stock bars. I may not entertain riser now, they seem to help so much.

I thought about the Carillo rods, but the expense just seemed extreme. Plus, although they certainly would contribute to a quicker rev'ing engine, as they are significantly lighter than the OEM con-rods, Mike really talked me out of them and suggested that:

1 - The stock rods are nearly bullet-proof, and although heavier than the Carillos, aren't exceptionally heavy

2 - Mike made a case that the V11 Sport's rotating mass is already pretty light compared to old Guzzis, and for a street bike, a little mass is reallly a "good thing" for a smooth idle, acceleration, and running.

Of course, he was more than happy to sell me anything I wanted, but I really appreciated his honesty in this and a few other performance options I asked about.... again in the context of this being a "street bike", where my goal was good consistent power, but with a focus on keeping the bike a good all-around street performer. I certainly didn't want something that wouldn't idle, or was tempermental.

Hopefully, that is what has been achieved, but only time will tell. I seems like it has so far, but again, I've only had limited time on the bike.

I've thought about dropping in some of his titanium pushrods as well, but can always do that at a later date, as it's just a drop-in job. Right now I don't need them, and am trying to save $$ and time. I'll probably do it next year once it's time to check the torque on the heads.

I'll definitely provide a full report once I have some more time on the bike, and especially once I have more data, via Dyno testing, etc...

I also have to decide whether I like my old Corbin, or "new"(used) Rich Maund seat. I've tried Rich's seat briefly, and it is "different" but don't have enough "seat time" in it to draw a conclusion :huh2: I do know that I slide around a lot more on Rich's, but that's probably more due to the material the original owner of the seat chose.

al

Well, second day into riding the bike to work, everything seems good and the bike has loads of grunt.

And as mentioned, it spins up quickly and smoothly.

I've only had one hiccup, and that was at the end of my ride today, literally as I was turning into the parking lot. The bike just quit, obviously "electrically". It was as if I put down the sidestand while in gear, or similar.

I flicked the kill-switch on-off, then it started back up after a couple tries of hitting the starter. I can only assume, at this point, that one of the "safety" or other on/off switches stuck/tripped after sitting for 6 months, or maybe a relay hiccup'ed? :huh2:

I'm not worried about it yet, as this was a one-time deal, and otherwise the bike has run flawlessly for two days. I'll just keep an eye out for a repeat, then try to figure out what's up if so.

BTW, Mike, if you want.... feel free to find some time to ride down and take a test-ride on my bike for a few hours and see what differences you notice. I think that might be very telling since you have both an 00-01 model, and 03+ V11.

Just let me know if you would like to do so :D

al

Guest Dave Pott
I've only had one hiccup, and that was at the end of my ride today, literally as I was turning into the parking lot.

My Ballabio did exactly the same thing a couple times early on and hasn't since for at least a year. The only thing I can think I was doing was some how just bumping into the kill switch. By playing around with it I noticed all it does take is a "bump" into and does not need to be completely depressed(at least on mine)

Hope it is as simple as that.

By the way, Al, got any updated photos of the bike??

Cheers,

Dave

Hrmm, interesting... hopefully that is all it is(hitting the kill switch, or similar). It only worries me a little since the "huge delay" in getting the bike back was an electrical problem where it wouldn't run. But I think(knocking on wood) that this was merely a coincidence.

I'll try to take some photos soon I guess, it just hasn't been a priority. I barely get time to dig it out from all the boxes and crud in the garage to actually RIDE IT, much less go pose it somewhere for a photo :rolleyes:

It pretty much looks the same though, just with a Rich Maund seat on it right now that I am testing "against" my old Corbin. The jury is still out on that one BTW. They both are "good", but "different"... can't tell which I prefer yet.

al

My kill switch brushes against the tank bag on full lock. I've allways been able to get a foot down so haven't dropped it. But it's not what you want if u turning on a short stretch of road and you're suddenly stuck across the carrige way waiting for oncomming traffic :o

Al,

I would like your input on the Megacycle cam and Mike Rich pistons that were installed into your bike.

Can you feel the difference?

Mike

51699[/snapback]

I recently installed a brace a Mike Rich pistons on my '04 Lemans. Of note, the wrist pins had to be machined a few thousands to clear the cir-clips. Dyno numbers are 83.7 hp and 64.7 ft-lbs with a slight dip at 3,800. This with Stuchhi x-over, M4 cans and the pistons + PCIII.

Allan

BTW, Mike, if you want.... feel free to find some time to ride down and take a test-ride on my bike for a few hours and see what differences you notice.  I think that might be very telling since you have both an 00-01 model, and 03+ V11.

Just let me know if you would like to do so :D

al

52026[/snapback]

Hi Al,

Thanks for the offer, I am a little short on time for the next two weeks. Need to get my bike ready for a two day track day coming up at the end of the month. New tires need to be installed, balanced, oils changed and suspension cranked up.

Mike