New helmet

richard100t

I just came back from the big CycleWorld bike show in Cleveland. I've been wanting to upgrade & get a very good top of the line helmet. I tried a few brands on & I liked the Shoei RF1000 & the Shoei Multitec the best of the bunch. Caberg's Justissimo flip up was $100 less & had a lot more features, but it didnt feel as good as the Multitec to me. Arai is supposed to be a very good helmet maker too but the one I tried on wasnt for my head. I guess the only thing left for me to decide is should I get the flip up version Shoei or the conventional version rf1000 for less money. I doubt if very many of you have the Multitec yet as its a new model, but if you do let me know if you like it.

I have a Nolan, I think N100e but don't wear it much anymore since buying an AGV on closeout from Dennis Kirk The Nolan always seemed very noisy and just didn't fit right. The new multitech would get me back into a flip up helmet, I tried one recently and was very pleased at the way it fit and how the flip up feature worked. I think its the best of the flip ups out there, a little pricey right now but I guess there are some deals out there.

I have the Shoe rf1000 and its the best helmet for the money I have ever owned. BUT!!! everyones heads are shaped differently so you are going to get way different answers from everyone. Best think you can do is go to local dealers and try on as many helmets as you can and find. That way you can see what fits you best and narrow it down. As far as the rf1000. It is a great helemt for the money you can not go wrong with it as long as it fits you properly.

Good luck!!!!

JJ

I have the Shoe rf1000 and its the best helmet for the money I have ever owned. BUT!!! everyones heads are shaped differently so you are going to get way different answers from everyone. Best think you can do is go to local dealers and try on as many helmets as you can and find. That way you can see what fits you best and narrow it down. As far as the rf1000. It is a great helemt for the money you can not go wrong with it as long as it fits you properly.

Good luck!!!!

JJ

I agree with you about trying on the hemets first. I did try on several helmets & narrowed it down to either the rf1000 or the Multitec. They both fit my head very well & they feel like a high quality helmet. I really think I'm leaning toward the Multitec, but it will cost a lot more money. Maybe I'll have to get both lol

I Just recently purchased a new helmet too. I shoped all the local places and tried on everything including Shoei, Nolan, HJC, AGV etc. I ended up with a Scorpion EXO700. To me its all about Fit and Vision. I have many Helmets. Most of them are replica Shoei and Bell from past Superbikes. I don't like the Modular styles. My Nolan is noisy and drafty and has never been a good all around helmet. I have a couple of beaters for wet weather riding that seal very tight. I tend to use about 3 helmets for different riding conditions day, night, long distance, work etc.

Back to the Scorpion.. It fit me very well and included the bag and chin curtain. What I liked the most about it is its ease of changing the visor and the great side vision. I don't find myself looking over or under my shoulder as much. I think I found a good all around helmet and may be able to use it more than switching from time to time.

Good luck with your choice. After having a major accident and my helmet saving my melon, I have to believe its the single most important investment after the motorcycle.

Richard Z.

I was told once when it comes to helmet quality, it begins and ends with Arai, hence they tend to be the most expensive. Having said that, it's got to fit you comfortably, or it a waste of time.

Guest gooseorduck

I was told once when it comes to helmet quality, it begins and ends with Arai, hence they tend to be the most expensive. Having said that, it's got to fit you comfortably, or it a waste of time.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Arai Quantum II, I paid more than I could get them from the web or big bike store. The liner was custom fit to my head and it fits perfect. There are no 2 heads alike, although the foam will make up for the differences, there's no substitute for a precise fitting helmet.

I second the recommendations for a proper fit. But I suggest you check out Shuberth Concept as well. I have an Arai Quantum II, and a Concept, and while I'm sure the Arai will do a great job of protecting my head, the Shuberth feels like a higher quality product, and has nicer features. The removable/ washable lining is very soft, ventilation works well, is fairly quiet, and the built in sunshade is very useful. One last note...while you will need to try one on for sizing, when I replaced an older Shuberth, I bought one online for $450 with free shipping and a free helmet bag (compared to $650 at the BMW dealer).

I second the recommendations for a proper fit. But I suggest you check out Shuberth Concept as well. I have an Arai Quantum II, and a Concept, and while I'm sure the Arai will do a great job of protecting my head, the Shuberth feels like a higher quality product, and has nicer features. The removable/ washable lining is very soft, ventilation works well, is fairly quiet, and the built in sunshade is very useful. One last note...while you will need to try one on for sizing, when I replaced an older Shuberth, I bought one online for $450 with free shipping and a free helmet bag (compared to $650 at the BMW dealer).

I'll look into one of those myself but I'll probaly get a new Nolan I swear those are near top notch when you take things into consideration like price. Also I need a flipup I have a huge head and have a hard time putting regular helmets on and find them not so comfy. I never ride with it up I just like flipping it up when I get gas and makes it a lot easier to put on. I'll need a new helmet when I Get a new bike(second bike) :helmet:

I too looked at helmets at the Cleveland show this past weekend. I presently have the Nolan N-100E. I have been VERY SATISFIED! I wanted to look at the new N-102 that they came out with a while back. The new interior, along with the revised opening system for the front has me considering it, even though mine is only two years old. Their microlock system for the chin strap is the easiest I have found. There is so much good that I am willing to overlook the noise factor. After all, that can be dealt with too. Perhaps the 102 is better, I don't know. For me, the Nolan fits perfect. The new 102 fits me exactly like my 100E.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

I'm pleased with my 102. Flip up mechanism works well. Sun visor works for me - shades not needed and wind noise negligible when flipped up. In general, it is noisier than my Shoei RF-1000, but I only really notice without plugs. The Nolan has a removable liner. The flip up face cover and cleanable liner mean a lot in swampy SE Texas.

Guest Mattress

I just bought a Roof Diversion through mail order. I did have to re-order a larger size, the downside of mail order. But I like the fit & finish, and the ratchet-less visor. Not sure I like the quick release, a little fidly but solid. It matches the paint on my bike nicely and I like the style. The coming season will help determine if I'll ever buy another.