Tank suck

raz

Having read a lot about V11 tank-suck problems, and since I always get that swoosh sound when opening the tank of my Sport 1100, I decided to check it out. I knew I don't have a tip-valve but I also knew (or thought) that the tank was vented. So I connected a can of compressed air to it to see if it was clogged up with something.

1100sport_suction.jpg

:homer: Not so. The "vent" just drains the area surrounding the inner opening. Any gas or water that happens to get there will have a chance to drain, which is good (except for its aim at my rear tire but that seems to be a common idea among motorcycle designers). But any vacuum inside the tank will be trapped until I open it up. The gasket is spring-loaded so any over-pressure will probably get out though.

Any suggestion on how to fix this? Should I even care? This is a steel tank, I don't think it will shrink... Maybe this is not a big problem on an injected bike, but the carb Sports would suffer from this I guess.

The v11 has a separate vent for the tank itself. Both the vent and the oveflow exit through nipple fittings under the tank. Tese can be seen looking under from the front up beside the spine frame.

Have a look under your tank.

The v11 has a separate vent for the tank itself. Both the vent and the oveflow exit through nipple fittings under the tank. Tese can be seen looking under from the front up beside the spine frame.

Have a look under your tank.

Nope, just the overflow there. My tank is off for other maintenance so I've had a good look. If there is a vent, it's built-in to the lid (and clogged). There are small holes in the lid facing down into the tank, I'll have a closer look when I find the time.

• 3 months later...

Nope, just the overflow there. My tank is off for other maintenance so I've had a good look. If there is a vent, it's built-in to the lid (and clogged). There are small holes in the lid facing down into the tank, I'll have a closer look when I find the time.

Yup, it's built into the lid. Not hard to fix at all, just a couple of phillips screws. Problem solved :luigi: