Front tire rotation?

senior rider

In the owner's manual on page 94 for my 2000 v11 s, it says the front tire arrow should point

against the direction of rotation.

I just bought a new pilot power that I need to mount, So I called Michelin and they said they

would not mount it with the arrow against the rotation.

I tryed to do a search on tire rotation, but no luck.

I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Jim

Guest ratchethack

Jim, I just looked this up in the OM, expecting to find a bad translation. It's confusing, alright.

2 items to consider: Directional orientation of tread pattern, and arrows on sidewalls.

Just below where it says, "*Front wheel: arrow pointing against the direction of rotation", it has an apparently conflicting note under N. B. - "These instructions should be followed unless otherwise directed by the tyre manufacturer."

Yes, indeed. Now this is just me, but I reckon the arrow on the sidewall IS the tyre manufacturer's directions. :homer:

Seems there might've been something lost in translation somewhere along the line after all. :P

There are a few exceptions with funny tread patterns on some front tires, but generally, the tread pattern on a front tire points against direction of rotation. The design intent is to maximize traction under braking -- the opposite of the design intent at the rear, where maximum traction is intended under acceleration. B)

In the owner's manual on page 94 for my 2000 v11 s, it says the front tire arrow should point

against the direction of rotation.

I just bought a new pilot power that I need to mount, So I called Michelin and they said they

would not mount it with the arrow against the rotation.

I tryed to do a search on tire rotation, but no luck.

I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Jim

Manual says crap often and at this point you better lave the instructions to the professionals = the one who fit tires all day long to bikes.

well someone realy reads these manuals.:-) from the 2001 le mans manual:

>While assembling the tires follow the arrow showing the proper direction of rotation.

If you question the manual , allways get the italian one, that is mostly correct.

The arrows should be like michelin tells you.

I've seen that recommendation in various places. I'm pretty sure it's an ancient recommendation that is applicable on tires that could be mounted either front or rear. In that case the arrow should be mounted backwards on the front wheel. On any tire the says "front tire" the arrow should point as the wheel rotates. Unless used as a rear tire of course :D

There are a few exceptions with funny tread patterns on some front tires, but generally, the tread pattern on a front tire points against direction of rotation. The design intent is to maximize traction under braking -- the opposite of the design intent at the rear, where maximum traction is intended under acceleration. B)

Righto, this is left over from the old days when the same tires were sometimes used for front & rear fitment. The rotation was reversed when mounted on the front for the exact reason Ratch said. I don't know of this practice on any modern radials. The modern front's tread patterns is also designed to shed water and make way for the rear in the rain. Reversing it would help funnel water under it (and toward the rear) :homer:

Follow the arrow on the sidewall. :thumbsup:

Righto, this is left over from the old days when the same tires were sometimes used for front & rear fitment. The rotation was reversed when mounted on the front for the exact reason Ratch said. I don't know of this practice on any modern radials. The modern front's tread patterns is also designed to shed water and make way for the rear in the rain. Reversing it would help funnel water under it (and toward the rear) :homer:

Follow the arrow on the sidewall. :thumbsup:

I thought it had more to do with carcass design.

I am not sure about traction, but the tread direction does effect the scalloping of the tire and it should point as Ratchet and Dan indicate, although there are many exceptions, mostly where the tread points in multiple directions.

You want the threads in the ply to provide tensile strength while braking for the front and while accellerating for the rear.

Rear tires by design, would need greater strength in multiple directions, front tires can be more unidirectional, but still need some multi-directional strength.

But yah I remember alot of people would run the rear Pirelli Phantoms front and rear and the arrow simply went counter spin in the front.

I think some would even put a pair of front tires on with the arrow counter spin in the rear, but that kind of scared me, because I suspected having a front tire on the rear was a bad idea, but who knows, on a 40HP machine it probably did not matter much.

I thought it had more to do with carcass design.

I am not sure about traction, but the tread direction does effect the scalloping of the tire and it should point as Ratchet and Dan indicate, although there are many exceptions, mostly where the tread points in multiple directions.

You want the threads in the ply to provide tensile strength while braking for the front and while accellerating for the rear.

Rear tires by design, would need greater strength in multiple directions, front tires can be more unidirectional, but still need some multi-directional strength.

But yah I remember alot of people would run the rear Pirelli Phantoms front and rear and the arrow simply went counter spin in the front.

I think some would even put a pair of front tires on with the arrow counter spin in the rear, but that kind of scared me, because I suspected having a front tire on the rear was a bad idea, but who knows, on a 40HP machine it probably did not matter much.

Yes Dave this is true. Looking at the K81 Dunlops on my Commando, (same tire fitted front and rear) the tread design is not directional but the tires are, pending location, so in this instance it is only about carcass strength. I was referring to the tread design on modern tires where the tread is directional to channel water away. Certainly there are many other issues in carcass and tread design and we are oversimplifying here.

Yes Dave this is true. Looking at the K81 Dunlops on my Commando, (same tire fitted front and rear) the tread design is not directional but the tires are, pending location, so in this instance it is only about carcass strength. I was referring to the tread design on modern tires where the tread is directional to channel water away. Certainly there are many other issues in carcass and tread design and we are oversimplifying here.

Yep, and I think tire makers are headed more towards putting the tread in the right direction.

I think the Metzeler Laser set the trend, and it has taken many years to catch on.

On the negative side of the trend, I think tires are trying to hard to be like racing slicks, and not putting enough tread grooves, but I guess the silicate compounds have made that more exceptable.

Geeeez, Louise!!

I was SURE I'd be the only one OLD enough to recall the days of one-tire fittment where the front tire mounted in reverse rotation to the rear.

You might note that the modern sport tire "V" groove pattern is usually pointed opposite, on the front vs the back, so maybe things haven't changed all that much over the last 5 (hahaha) years!! :oldgit:

I was SURE I'd be the only one OLD enough to recall the days of one-tire fittment where the front tire mounted in reverse rotation to the rear.

:oldgit: If the ones that are older than you could remember mounting tires in the sixties, this thread would have at least 20 more posts. :lol:

...I was SURE I'd be the only one OLD enough to recall the days of one-tire fittment where the front tire mounted in reverse rotation to the rear...

I wasn't the only one used to run 110 front & rear & swap em over part way worn - the rear used to wear centreline, front wore sides. Now I got more cash & everythings a bit more made for purpose.

KB :sun:

In those days my 160 rear tire would have been really fat. Now my dealers don't have much alternatives on stock to chose from, because most tires are 180 or wider. I guess 260 would be less wierd than 160 <_>