Tempted by new 1200s

Guest Nigelstephens

Unfortunately I don't think we will ever see a 125bhp 8V Le Mans.

:stupid: And I don't need a bike that is more sportier than the 1200S. It feels so much lighter and nimbler than the V11.

I think I'll sleep a few nights on it. At the moment my V11 runs perfectly and I really enjoy it again.

An option is to keep the V11 as a project bike (which it is already...) and ride the 1200S.

I strategically left a 1200S brochure on the coffee table. My GF looked asked if that was the new Guzzi. She thought it looked much better than my V11. I'll take that as an OK. :D

Now I have to convince myself it's worth the amount of money: € 14.490,- (that's 19,700 US Dollar)

When new the *new* six speed and the shaft/CARC arrangement are clonky and noisy. Over time this improves markedly. I'm getting close to 20,000Km on my Griso and while if I do something stupid and unthinking I can make it clank I'm generally able to travel without any undue noise or drivetrain issues. I remain convinced that the 'Clankyness' is the result of the rubber cush drive incorporated in the shaft. Especially when the gearbox is cold whne a gear is selected at a standstill the viscous drag of the oil in the box will cause the whole driveline to pre-load up. While this isn't noticeable as in a tendency for the machine to 'Creep' it does mean that the output shaft will try to spin once a gear is engaged. The shaft tries to spin but then the pinion in the CARC wallops the crownwheel and the rubber cush drive in the shaft loads up and immediately unloads again sending another shock wave back up the driveline to the gearbox. The backlash in the gearbox pinions is then rapidly reversed so it clonks.

All of that happens in a fraction of a second and yes, it sounds bloody awful but it doesn't do any harm and as the box loosens up there is less viscous drag so the clonking diminishes. As stated above, by 20,000km it is virtually gone.

The thing to remember is that the 1200 Sport is in fact more of a stripped down Norge than anything else. Like it or not the Griso is currently the closest Guzzi get to a 'Sports' bike. Don't believe me? Look at the suspension. All the others have stuck with the crappy Marzocchi forks and have a soft touring shock, (I'm reliably informed that you can improve bothe the Norge and 1200 Sport out of sight by putting a firmer spring on the back.) The Griso gets the superb Showa forks and a decent, if more spartan, Boge shock.

I've just fitted a screen to mine, the larger of the two 'Factory' screens and it has further improved it's ride and character. No, there are plenty of bikes that are faster but the big 'G' handles far, far better than any big, heavy, shafty has any right to and pulls in the midrange like a 14 year old schoolboy with his first stick-book.

The 8V motor is coming, it's still undergoing serious testing at the moment according to my sources, presumably Piagio don't want any stuff-ups when it does finally hit the streets. My guess is that this will offer more serious top-end mumbo for those that want it and will, eventually, be the powerplant for a 'Nuovo Lemans' It's interesting to note though that it's launch is going to be in the Griso which I think gives a pretty good indication of which bike Guzzi see as their flagship model and, IMHO, with bloody good reason. It really is a superb 'road' bike and has killer looks which are really individual. It's not a clone of something else and it performs superbly within it's limitations. I can understand it's ergonomics not suiting some people, certainly taller riders seem to have problems, but don't discount it simply because it doesn't have a 'Dog shagging a hockeyball' riding position.

Pete