T-3 Fanatic

Guest bikermedic

Guest bikermedic

[font=Arial Black Hi. I'm a retired Army Combat Medic. 54 Years Old and the biggest 'kid' I know. There is no fun being 'grownup'.

I do my own work and painting on my bikes which will explain why there are five of them with only one running and needing some top end attention too.

My first and only Moto Guzzi (so far) is my '77' 850 T-3. Which I snapped the original shift return spring last November and is now waiting for the weather to get around 32 degrees and my transmission upgrade parts to arrive from the North West.

I like sport touring and camping but trying to keep up with the VFR crowd on ancient bias ply tires made me rethink lifes goals. I wouldn't know how to act if I had all the brakes, handling, power and suspension of what is new out there but my ultimate goal is to have and use a V11 LeMans for cross country sport touring.

I live South West of Boston and time is limited to wrenching and riding due to full time home health care of a 94 year old Mom and I am an Emergency Department Tech.

My very first ride on ANY Moto Guzzi was a friends 2000 V11. The combination of everything a bike should be yet kept simple has gotten me hooked ever since.

If you are looking for something to do then go to the next thread I start on a bike rally in Sturbridge Mass in April called the Yankee Beemers Spring Muster. Looking forward to the upcoming riding season. I'll be the old gray guy in the back. All the best. Larry

Larry, good to have you aboard! I'm also a T3 nut and love the old Guzzis as well as the new ones. Just a heads up there is a nice 2000 green V11 for sale at Max BMW in their NH store, very clean with a few nice extras. Its not a LeMans but it is that famous green with the red frame. Good luck as you look for a modern Guzzi SPORT bike!

Hal

Guest bikermedic

Larry, good to have you aboard! I'm also a T3 nut and love the old Guzzis as well as the new ones. Just a heads up there is a nice 2000 green V11 for sale at Max BMW in their NH store, very clean with a few nice extras. Its not a LeMans but it is that famous green with the red frame. Good luck as you look for a modern Guzzi SPORT bike!

Hal

Good of you to think of me with that V11 Hal. But right now my T-3 is waiting for me to replace the shifter spring and reshim /upgrade the transmission as a whole. I also have a set of Mikuni to make a manifold to replace the Delorto's. Did I mention that they have to have a different angle because of the K&N filters? Then there is this thing about fitting Norton Commando mufflers ( my favorite reverse cones)

This T-3 was in a BAD endo years ago and got rebuilt sort of. So i am not butchering a pristine T-3. Then there is pulling the heads on my R75 to replace the valve guides when my wifes not home and the oven is available.... Larry

Good of you to think of me with that V11 Hal. But right now my T-3 is waiting for me to replace the shifter spring and reshim /upgrade the transmission as a whole. I also have a set of Mikuni to make a manifold to replace the Delorto's. Did I mention that they have to have a different angle because of the K&N filters? Then there is this thing about fitting Norton Commando mufflers ( my favorite reverse cones)

This T-3 was in a BAD endo years ago and got rebuilt sort of. So i am not butchering a pristine T-3. Then there is pulling the heads on my R75 to replace the valve guides when my wifes not home and the oven is available.... Larry

:mg::luigi: GET BACK to work... :D

I put those reverse cones on my Eldo. They do look good, but you'll need a shim to match the diameters.

Guest bikermedic

I put those reverse cones on my Eldo. They do look good, but you'll need a shim to match the diameters.

Yup, I am working on a inline resonator as the reverse cones that I bought have GOT to be outlaw pipes. They are constructed exactly as the stock Norton (73 Commando) but the interior is a joke with three small rows of louvers or fish gills. My original Norton Reverse cones had a highly louvered and squashed into a triangle center pipe. It was still a straight through exhaust but waay more restrictive then this STRAIGHT pipe/stock LOOKING muffler. These babies have to have a loud BARK!

The simplist thing would be to send them back but i do love the lines and I have been going round and round on E-bay. So I will have to provide a different pipe to attach from the head pipe to the location of the new muffler anyways. I am working on building a re-packable straight -flow extension to the head pipes with a 15 degree upsweep to attache the Reverse cones. I am toying with three different possibilities for the packing and core louvers vs screen. My last resort is to restrict the flow. I am just trying to remove the high frequency of the combustion and bring it down to a more acceptable mid range boom and rumble. I can also do a spiral baffle inside the muffler itself with some fiberglass woven tape to mellow it a bit further. The exhaust gasses pulverize house insulation with their heat and shock waves but i'm hoping the fiberglass woven material will hold up to it.

Home made intake manifolds to adapt the Mikuni onto the engine is on my list of things to do as well.