carbon Stuchi shield

Guest jap

Hi all,

Today i notiched that the stuchi carbon windshield thing (what's it called in english has some really nasty looking chipped bits on the inside. It almost looks like the laminating glue/resin or whatever they use for that is letting loose.. i wasn't really excited about the finishing of the whole thing but this has got me a bit pissed of... any simulair complaints??

And now that i am discussing paint. The edges of my tank are rubbing against the inside of the sidepannels at first i thought it was ok but i think it is getting worse tried putting the tank a bitt higher with some spacers but that didn't cure it!?

any thoughts on that!

Cheers

jasper

Guest Brian Robson

Re the tank rubbing; just go the lower attachment on the offending side, take out the rubber grommet and gently bend the clip about 1-2mm, then reattach yadda yadda yadda

Hi all,

Today i notiched that the stuchi carbon windshield thing (what's it called in english has some really nasty looking chipped bits on the inside. It almost looks like the laminating glue/resin or whatever they use for that is letting loose.. i wasn't really excited about the finishing of the whole thing but this has got me a bit pissed of... any simulair complaints??

And now that i am discussing paint. The edges of my tank are rubbing against the inside of the sidepannels at first i thought it was ok but i think it is getting worse tried putting the tank a bitt higher with some spacers but that didn't cure it!?

any thoughts on that!

Cheers

jasper

Well, regarding the fairing... while I don't have that item, my experience with CF body panels long-term durability has never been good.

It's always amused me to some degree ever since the CF "craze" started, especially in the Ducati crowd after many folks noted it's extensive use on race bikes. So then came along all the pretty CF aftermarket bits, and lo-and-behold... since it was never designed to "look pretty" but instead just be light and strong... it didn't wear well.

My friend had a similar, although not Stucci, CF bikini fairing on his Ducati Monster... and it started to turn grey, and the resin started to raise off of the CF weave after a couple years. It progressively got worse, until he just painted it black.

That's not to say all CF items will turn to chalk, but many, especially exhausts, do not last forever, especially when exposed to the elements.

That said, if the damage isn't too bad, you can fill the chips with resin, then sand and polish it to a nice sheen again. This repair works for a long while until the surrounding bits start to lift.

I think it's just the nature of CF used as body panels... unfortunately.

In regard to the tank resting on the side air-box covers/panels, I too have the tank touching them and rubbing the paint. However, it's only cosmetic, and the rubbed portion is actually under the tank and invisible on my bike... so no big deal to me.

What is a big deal though is that the weight of the tank has stessed my right panel, and cracked it around one of the fasteners. The "fix" indeed is supposedly to put some washers/bushing under the tank bolt to raise it a bit. I haven't tried it yet though.

Sorry to hear about your issues though. Good luck.

al

thanks for the reply...

I am a bit shocked over the CF remarks thought it was about as good as it gets... The damage is on the inside... so are there any ways to repair this CF stuff or do i just wait for the whole thing to fall of and buy another one??

As for the tank resting on the sidepanels mine cracked as well had to reapair it.. (today had some good news a friend of mine found the correct color code for the v11 green.. the code's on the forum didn't mean anything to him i'll post them when i gett them) I don't really care about the cosmetics but i am just afraid there is going to be a hole in the tank in about 30k km if it continues rubbing like that.. monday morning piece of work or somehting???

I'll try out brian's suggestion see how that will work!

:D:D

Ok thanks for the advice

jap :nl::bike: