To grease or not to grease

mznyc

Has anyone replaced their starter solenoid,or rebuilt their starter,that would know if I should grease the brass/copper plunger that engages/disengages the starter gear?It seems like there was grease on it at one time but a bit tacky now.If so,should I use dielectric ,lithium or any ole monkey grease? :luigi:

Thanks,

Michael

Has anyone replaced their starter solenoid,or rebuilt their starter,that would know if I should grease the brass/copper plunger that engages/disengages the starter gear?It seems like there was grease on it at one time but a bit tacky now.If so,should I use dielectric ,lithium or any ole monkey grease? :luigi:

Thanks,

Michael

Hello.

Last time I rebuild my Valeo starter I tried using grease on the plunger and it don't work anymore.

I open it, remove any trace of grease and yo, up and running... :)

I talked to local auto parts store :luigi: and they said that a some type of thin coat of protective anti-corrosive is applied to plunger at the factory and that it's not necessary to add any lubricant.I didn't ,put it together and everythings workin perfect. :drink:

Another starter question... what about the gear itself? I removed the starter for cleaning and having a look. Should I put a little grease on the gear? Chain lube? Nothing? It's not engaged much and excess grease would of course make a mess inside. But it seems so unhealthy dry now.