Raising Shifter Lever

Guest h8chains

Guest h8chains

:race:

Is it possible to bring the shifter lever almost horizontal with the right foot peg?

First thought is to pull out the lever from the shaft and move it clockwise by 2 to 3 splines.

Anyone did something like this before or tried another approach?

Thanks in advance.

Guest ratchethack

Is it possible to bring the shifter lever almost horizontal with the right foot peg?

First thought is to pull out the lever from the shaft and move it clockwise by 2 to 3 splines.

Anyone did something like this before or tried another approach?

Say, H8chains! I've got a riding buddy with the same bike as yours, I think. Strangely enough, I haven't seen another one on the road in non-metallic red. He figures his is the only one south of LA. It's one o' the nicest looking LM's I've ever seen. :mg:

Both his and my shifter adjusters work exactly the same and all the clearances are the same. If I understand y'er question correctly, you want to raise the angle of the shifter to the level of the LEFT footpeg (though I assume y'er right and left pegs are the same height??) :D

There are two ways to adjust the shift lever height and I've fiddled around with this enough to be familiar with the limitations. If you want a significant change, the lever can sometimes be removed and replaced ONE SPLINE up. In my case this is not possible. If I do this, it will contact the starter motor on upshift. Two splines would be out of the question. One spline up still leaves the shift lever considerably below the level of the footpeg in it's resting position. I'm afraid wot y'er trying to do isn't possible without some kind of extraordinary modification, or unless you can do without a starter motor. :o

The height of the shift lever can be infinitely "fine-tuned" within lesser degrees of change via the adjuster on the linkage arm inboard of the shift lever at the spherical bushing located there. It's not the easiest thing to access, but the intent is that once you get it close to where you want it on the splines, with a little patience you can get it "just right".

The shift THROW LENGTH (as well as the amount of leverage achieved) is selectable by way of two available linkage arm positions located at the same place on the inboard side o' the shift lever, but I don't know if this helps you achieve wot y'er after. :huh2:

Sorry I don't have a better answer, my friend. Do you have a cast on y'er foot, or wot?

Guest h8chains

I have this bad habit of placing my left foot under the shifter pedal, and in many instances I drag my shoe while leaning the bike. I prefer that position for quick upshifting. Moving it by one spline is not really worth it.

Now that there's not really a quick and inexpensive fix, I'll do it the cheap way, get rid of the bad habit and learn to shift like the rest.

Thanks guys for your responses.

Say, H8chains! Both his and my shifter adjusters work exactly the same and all the clearances are the same. If I understand y'er question correctly, you want to raise the angle of the shifter to the level of the LEFT footpeg (though I assume y'er right and left pegs are the same height??) :D

There are two ways to adjust the shift lever height and I've fiddled around with this enough to be familiar with the limitations. If you want a significant change, the lever can sometimes be removed and replaced ONE SPLINE up. In my case this is not possible. If I do this, it will contact the starter motor on upshift. Two splines would be out of the question. One spline up still leaves the shift lever considerably below the level of the footpeg in it's resting position. I'm afraid wot y'er trying to do isn't possible without some kind of extraordinary modification, or unless you can do without a starter motor. :o

Sorry I don't have a better answer, my friend. Do you have a cast on y'er foot, or wot?

BTW, in designing my forward foot position controls, the shift lever does not interfere with the starter motor, so it could be adjusted considerably higher if that is desired.