• Bayard
    • Bieffe
    • Caberg
    • Lazer
    • Roof
    • Uvex
    • other
    • AGV

My new Arai just arrived a couple weeks ago. Replaces my old Arai.

New: Arai Quantum II Retro Corsa

Replacing: Arai Quantum e

I've been very happy with my Quantum e - hope the Quantum II gives me the same good service.

If anybody is looking for the Quantum II, I offered a dealer on Ebay $400 for my Lge size and got it (asking $500). If you have (or your pillion) a much smaller head there are lots of Sm and XSm etc for $125-$200 new. Could get his and hers for as little as $600 US!

If buying on line ALWAYS try on the helmet in person for sizing at your local shop.

Rj

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear a Nolan N100E, but can't recommend it; instead, my vote went for AGV [used to own, liked very much, but since I wear glasses to see, I upgraded to a flippy (modular), and haven't wanted to go back.

Doubt I'll upgrade to Nolan's latest flippy, altho' they have finally gone w/ a center catch & I do like the idea of the additional sun-shade. But the N100 is both too hot & too cold [doesn't breathe on top, while your chin & face freeze], requires use of the anti-fog insert year round, and the ski-boot latch system doesn't function with helmet locks [Nolan wants to charge an extra $10 for a piece of stamped sheet metal that costs them a nickel and should come with the helmet automatically... :bbblll: ]

Build quality of the Nolan is A-1, tho'; can't fault them for that!

:2c:

Looking forward to trying on Shoei's new flippy, altho' I hain't got a $400 head, regrettably... :wacko:

I've got to start saving for a new lid tho'; the Nolan is going on 3 years old now. Maybe I'll get lucky & AGV will come out w/ a flippy in another 2 years that I like as much as the old FF job? :thumbsup:

I got a couple of AGV;s GP rpos , rossi replicas and a stealth.I find the visibility , weight (about 1350gr)and fit of the GP Pro qutite good for me and wear them on daily basis. The stealth isn't as goon on fit, a bit loose , even if it is on the correct size.

Having tested the Ti series of AGV , I can say they seem to be a bit notch up in fitting and probably protection of the GP Pro's.

Shoei Z-two, pearl white, 5 years old.

I am going to get another Shoei in the fall, the lighter X-11. The Z-two was replaced by the RF-1000. It is a shame because the removable padding is still very good, but the external shell shows too many dings from the rocks thrown by cars and trucks. It vents well, is very good about keeping the sound out, but I still wear ear plugs.

I too have been wearing the Nolan N100-E. (FWIW: the N100 can be retrofitted with the sunshield. It requires replacing the face shield if it is too old.) Anyway, I have used that helmet in silver and have no major complaints. No D ring for security is a pain, but not a deal breaker. I have observed that the sun shield creates a lot of noise and have removed it. It also inpares the top vents in any position other than down. Most of my traveling has been behind the windshield of the EV, although, with the ergos now improved on the LeMans, I look forward to doing more with that. The fogging was mentioned. I agree. Leaving the shield open one notch relieves that, and once under way, it's pretty much ok. I also waer sunglasses so I leave the shield up going through town and such. After a period of time, if you leave the shield open with the insert, it will begin to wear on the shield leaving scratch marks around the edges. The chin buckle system is the greatest thing since sliced bread, IMHO. All in all. I have been very satisfied. I suppose the good outweighs the bad.

As a result of my satisfaction, I did recently replace ny two year old N100 with the new N-102 N-Com. The vents are easier to operate, especially with gloves, and the opening system is MUCH better than before. One handed with either hand. The interior is more plush and there is a newer neck roll around the rear. The fit is the same as the old one. So far, I have only used it a few times, as winter is finally winding down here, but so far, I am happy with the improvements the 102 offers.

In the USA, Snell will not certify a modular helmet. I have heard that is because they figure someone may use it with the front open. However, MCN tested this and others several years ago and discovered that some, including the Nolan actually surpassed the Snell standards. The Nolan actually passed the test a second time, after it was already damaged. This was an impact test and a chin bar side deflection test. (The chin bar actually deflected less than a true full face, non modular helmet.)

Now all this stuff is great, but it's all moot if the helmet isn't comfortable to you. If it fits well, you will wear it. Having said that, I think comfort is the most important factor. For me, the Nolan is comfortable, with no pressure points. The ability to get it open easily for a drink of water, talk, etc., or to get it off and on for that matter makes it a winner.

The interior is also removable for washing, which is a really nice feature.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

Shoei Z-two, pearl white, 5 years old.

I am going to get another Shoei in the fall, the lighter X-11.

You are going really like the X11. :thumbsup: That is my present helmet. The cooling vents work very well especially on the LeMans. I also find it very quiet. I was wearing an Arrow (Jamo) before that but I find the modulars too noisy on the Goose. The modular works ok on the Concours but it has a whole lot more windshield.

:mg:

You are going really like the X11. :thumbsup: That is my present helmet. The cooling vents work very well especially on the LeMans. I also find it very quiet. I was wearing an Arrow (Jamo) before that but I find the modulars too noisy on the Goose. The modular works ok on the Concours but it has a whole lot more windshield.

:mg:

Thanks for the info. I'm feeling better about the price tag. It is hard to find something that vents AND is quiet.

Cheers! :bier:

Shoei Z-One, which I bought because it fitted best. :helmet:

I was actually after UVEX (best antifog visors ever, and where I live it rains a lot), but the quality of the linning material and fit were not as I wanted them to be. :ninja:

Best invention ever - double D ring buckle. Can't understand why helmet manufacturers even bother with anything else.

I wear a RoofRoadster (open face with integral visor).I never found a fullface that I like,Ifind them heavy and restrictive. I wouldnt recommend the Roof though, it wasnt cheap (£115),the visor is very mist prone and it has a ****ing seatbelt type buckle.....I may try a Davida next.

I just bought Nolan's N102 to replace my HJC. Worlds better, but not perfect. I had to by an XL due to a narrow front to back fit, which left it just a little looser than I'd like, but not too bad. That's not the helmets fault though, since they all fit a bit different. My only complaint: the draft that funnels its way onto your face is really pretty annoying in cold weather. Otherwise, I'm happy with it so far and assume I can get thicker padding to address the fit issues. :mg: