Mugello Track Day

Orson

While visiting Italy, I was invited to a track day at Mugello by the shop owner's son. Vito Guareschi moonlights as Ducati's Moto GP test rider while his brother Gianfranco races the MGS-01 for the Moto Guzzi factory. My mama didn't raise no fool and I quickly jumped at the invitation before he changed his mind.

Mugello lies in a beautiful area of Tuscany about 45 minutes north of Florence. I didn't have time to walk around the track so I stayed in the pits snapping pictures like a star struck groupie.

On this day, Vito would be conducting tire tests for Ducati aboard 2 new 1098s. Nice work if you can get it. Gianfranco would be practicing on the mighty, mighty MGS-01.

Vito is on the left in the black sweatshirt while younger brother Gianfranco is on the right in the red sweatshirt.

Picture024-2.jpg

I felt like an infiltrator at a Grand Prix. There was a hospitality area with food set up. Of course, I acted like I belonged there and stepped right up and helped myself to the goods. This being Italy, an espresso machine is a requirement. Not to mention a bottle of Grappa and another bottle that contained some sorta liqeur that made my ears unfurl.

Picture021-2.jpg

meanwhile, the other half labored on their bikes out in the open...

Picture025-2.jpg

back inside, we lounged around the food table while a strolling violinist played soothing tunes. OK, I made the last part up. They had delicious sausage and some kind of thick bacon as well as prosciutto and cheeses and bread and different types of wine....I kept thinking someone was gonna throw me out.

Picture022-2.jpg

Gianfranco readies the mighty, mighty MGS-01

Picture023-3.jpg

Even though the MGS-01 has been around for a couple of years, it still drew a gaggle of admirers even though the newer 1098 was parked right next to it.

Picture026-2.jpg

I'm not sure if this was a 50cc or a 125cc but it looked mighty trick. I kinda miss the bad ass two-stroke days

Picture031-2.jpg

I'm not sure who Guandalini Racing is...but they bring the money. Even a moped painted in team colors.

Picture032-2.jpg

Gianfranco briefs an Italian television race commentator about to take the MGS-01 for a spin

Picture027-1.jpg

Firing up the beast

Picture028-2.jpg

Differing reactions...awe from the guy in white...terror in the kid covering his ears...and a big grin from the oldtimer in the doorway.

Picture029-2.jpg

Great reading orson, Did you hear anything on the bigbore engine, why they are using the 4V now, and not bigbore? It didn't survive daytona? Or factory orders?

My Italian isn't very good so we didn't do much in depth discussion.

If the big bore engine is the one with water cooling, I saw that one at the Guareschi shop in Parma. I'm not sure why it wasn't taken to Mugello.

I did ask Guaro if he shouldn't paint the MGS-01 Tenni green :rasta:

He laughed and said it's not going to happen :D

My only suggestion is the Big bore water cooled may run into class restrictions capacity vs water cooling. I know in the local thunderbike class you are allowed up to 1300cc aircooled but only 1000cc water cooled, the big bore is umm considerably bigger than that.