Cleaning the exhaust header pipes

Guest ratchethack

This is just me, but I wouldn't use the fine grade Scotchbrite. I find that Medium grade restores the original look very nicely and quickly (counter-axis rubbinng ONLY!) and allows the honey-blue darkening cycle to start over with a fresh finish. I happen to like the color, and find this "brushed stainless" finish among the lowest maintenance of any I've had (chrome, "black chrome", flat black ceramic, and Jet Hot silver ceramic). I found a big "bale" of Scotchbrite at an industrial supply outlet for a few dollars, probably 10 years ago. It'll more'n likely take me many more years to use it up. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, dailing, I read the bit about passivation and realize this could be a source of further problems. So, no more steel wool on stainless pipes for me. And I regret if I mislead anyone with the info I posted. Now where can I find that finest grade Scotchbrite? Is it white?

The stuff from 3M is brown. Any auto parts store that sells to body shops should have it. I don't think the grade matters that much. The finer you use, the smoother the finish (and easier to keep clean) but it will also take more rubbing.

Edit: We buy it by the box of 20 6"X9" sheets for somewhere around 10 dollars. You can probably find it cheaper with a little searching.