Re-packing mufflers

Guest John T

Guest John T

I have had my Agostini CF slip ons for 3 years now and about 15,000 miles.

I noticed on my last ride the bike was much louder than usual and at higher rpms the low bellowing sound turned into a sharper raspier tone. The other riders kept telling how loud it was when following.

Also, after the ride the cans where warmer to the touch than usual.

Talked to my good buddy Todd and we both concurred that it was time for a re-pack.

I will let the group know how it goes.

Also, Todd has seen that mufflers that lost there packing hurt HP by 5-7.

Maybe thats why I didn't get more peak HP after the cam.

Time to drill out some rivets!

Check out the hi-mounts! Very easy and makes the bike look much better.

:luigi:

post-5-1058304843_thumb.jpg

Guest Guzzibill

I was looking at Stainless steel wool and you can find various vendors on the internet by using a search engine such as google.com A common trick is to use a combo of stainless around the core and then a layer of fiberglass around the stainless. The Stainless helps protect the glass from burning out as quickly and the sound is generally quieter than stainless alone . Two brothers and Yoshimura have reputaions of having very good quality fiberglass.

I`d vote the tekno bags would not fit with those awesome looking hi -pipes .

Nice looking Guzzi :thumbsup:

Bill

What grade steel wool are you thinking of using? In outdoorsmanship we've found 0000 steel wool to be an excellent fire starter. Even when wet, one spark will ignite the stuff into an aggressively burning mass. Is that a good trait for muffler packing? :blink:

CBT Imports, importers of Staintune mufflers says,

"There is never a need to internally service or repack a (Staintune) stainless steel muffler because the packing material is a spun stainless steel wool. It will not disintegrate or blow out, ever. There are no rivets and there is no way to open the muffler up to get to the internals. "

I would not dare use regular steel wool because it will rust....and from what Docc said, potentially catch fire.

I imagine the finer the grade the more prone to heat degradation or ignition it will be. However too course a grade and the sound absorbtion capabilites will be diminished....