Oil Leak?

Guest JimFitz

Guest JimFitz

So, I have to sell my V11 Ballabio; I'm not pleased by this, but won't bore you with the reasons why. I met an interested buyer and allowed him to take the bike for a brief ride, which he enjoyed very much. However, upon admiring the bike further, he discovered, (as did I), a small Oil patch below the airbox, on the right side, on top of the case- just above the break pedal. There was no drip, and no apparent source, but oil was beginning to run down the side of the case and had pooled in front of the filler plug. :!:

Of course, this was troubling to the perspective buyer, and something I'll have to remedy before I sell the bike- which I am needing to do ASAP.

Upon riding the bike home, I pulled off the plastic side covers, lifted the tank, and pushed the hoses into the filter box. I could find no source of Oil- but the top of the case was moist with it.

I'm wondering if the Oil could be coming from the air-box? Any thoughts or suggestions?

The bike has 9,750 miles and had the 6,000 mile service performed at the Guzzi shop- all has been perfect- until the day I try to sell thing. I guess we're not ready to part ways just yet.

I'll appreciate any advice; I'm not wanting to lose sleep over thinking this could be a serious problem.

-Thanks

Guest ratchethack

Jim, sorry you have to part with the Billybob. :(

I'm having a little trouble visualizing where the oil is by your description. Can't quite square "just above the brake pedal" with "in front of the filler plug", since the oil filler is about 6" in front of the brake lever rubber?? A photo would be worth a thousand words here. Can you tell if it's motor oil or trans oil? Can you pinpoint the location any better?

When you say the top of the case is moist with oil, does it appear that oil is migrating down the right-side of the case to the area by the filler? There have been a low number of trans leaks that originate at the top of the joint in the trans. I have a friend with an '04 LM that has this.

Back to you. :helmet:

Guest JimFitz

post-2481-1180226137_thumb.jpg

Jim, sorry you have to part with the Billybob. :(

I'm having a little trouble visualizing where the oil is by your description. Can't quite square "just above the brake pedal" with "in front of the filler plug", since the oil filler is about 6" in front of the brake lever rubber?? A photo would be worth a thousand words here. Can you tell if it's motor oil or trans oil? Can you pinpoint the location any better?

When you say the top of the case is moist with oil, does it appear that oil is migrating down the right-side of the case to the area by the filler? There have been a low number of trans leaks that originate at the top of the joint in the trans. I have a friend with an '04 LM that has this.

Back to you. :helmet:

Ratchethack- Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try to affix a photo- hopefully you'll be able to see the Oil. I can't say for sure if its transmission or motor Oil- but I'd bet on motor Oil.- Thanks again.

:2c: Take the tank off and check the oil breather line from the spin of the bike to the air box. If that's not it check to breather line from the crank case to the spin of the bike. Other then that I can't think of any thing right now that might cause the leak. I think about it some more.

Ciao

Z

Guest ratchethack

post-2481-1180226137_thumb.jpg

Ratchethack- Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try to affix a photo- hopefully you'll be able to see the Oil. I can't say for sure if its transmission or motor Oil- but I'd bet on motor Oil.- Thanks again.

Jim, the photo helps. Not that this is conclusive of anything, but this looks identical to the seep pattern on my Pal's '04 LM. We've determined that the origin is the top of the trans joint (as mentioned above). It's more of a low-level seep than a leak, but unless wiped up, eventually runs down in the same area.

I seriously doubt the source is oil from the airbox, but I'd do my best to determine wot kind of lube it is. The smell test oughta do it. After that comes the taste test, if'n y'er so inclined. . . :bbblll:

If I were you I'd wipe it up and see if it re-appears. If you're lucky, the trans joint isn't the source after all, it will be something easier (wot, I don't know) and it won't re-appear.

If it re-appears, however -- In the interest of full disclosure, this puts you in a bit of a bind in front of a "mandatory" sale.

My Pal has determined that nothing changes as far as his seep goes. He wipes up a tiny ooze about once a week and rides it. This could go on a long time, possibly years, possibly decades. :huh2:

If this is wot becomes your reason not to sell, Jim, I reckon you and Billybob were not destined to part -- at least for now -- after all.

That's all I got, my friend. Best wishes to you & The BB. :mg:

:2c: Take the tank off and check the oil breather line from the spin of the bike to the air box. If that's not it check to breather line from the crank case to the spin of the bike. Other then that I can't think of any thing right now that might cause the leak. I think about it some more.

Ciao

Z

Coz, here's why I don't think it's the oil breather.

1. I've had this leak on my Guzzi and fixed it by replacing the hose. The tendency is for the oil to run down the left-hand side because that's where gravity takes it on the side stand.

2. The oil breather is 6"+ in front of where Jim's photo shows the oil seeping down. When the oil breather leaks at the junction to the case (mine did), the oil seeps down in front of the bell housing bulge on the cases, immediately behind the left-hand cylinder barrel.

But o' course, that's just my observation. :huh2:

Guest JimFitz

Thank you very much for the insight and for the quick replys. While I'd like to be optimistic, it sounds like a potentially significant issue; and I'm all for full disclosure. Since I'm one of the many who can ride but not fix, (and am typically humbled by monitoring this forum with the ingenuity of it's members), I'm guessing my best bet is to take it to someone who can diagnose the source in person- and North San Diego County is a bit far to run- although I'd love that ride.

Our local folks here in Seattle should be able to fix me up, regardless of whether I've got a loose hose or a bad seal. I'll keep my fingers crossed. (Although, as you point out, even bad news might not be so bad; it could just be fate).

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Jim, the photo helps. Not that this is conclusive of anything, but this looks identical to the seep pattern on my Pal's '04 LM. We've determined that the origin is the top of the trans joint (as mentioned above). It's more of a low-level seep than a leak, but unless wiped up, eventually runs down in the same area.

I seriously doubt the source is oil from the airbox, but I'd do my best to determine wot kind of lube it is. The smell test oughta do it. After that comes the taste test, if'n y'er appetite allows. . . :wacko:

If I were you I'd wipe it up and see if it re-appears. If you're lucky, the trans joint isn't the source after all, it will be something easier (wot, I don't know) and it won't re-appear.

If it re-appears, however -- In the interest of full disclosure, this puts you in a bit of a bind in front of a "mandatory" sale.

My Pal has determined that nothing changes as far as his seep goes. He wipes up a tiny ooze about once a week and rides it. This could go on a long time, possibly years, possibly decades. :huh2:

If this is wot becomes your reason not to sell, Jim, I reckon you and Billybob were not destined to part -- at least for now -- after all.

That's all I got, my friend. Best wishes to you & The BB. :mg:

Guest ratchethack

Thank you very much for the insight and for the quick replys.

Por nada, mi compadre. -_-

Our local folks here in Seattle should be able to fix me up, regardless of whether I've got a loose hose or a bad seal. I'll keep my fingers crossed. (Although, as you point out, even bad news might not be so bad; it could just be fate).

Dave and Greg at Moto International will give you the straight scoop. :thumbsup:

Good luck. :sun:

Jim:

I'll be working on bikes in the gay-raj this weekend. Pop by, and I'll have a look at it. Have you considered a shock leak? Call first: 206 371-9623.

Now THATS service. :thumbsup:

Good on ya Greg.