Charging system failure

Tom M

I got the dreaded battery light when I pulled in from a ride last night. Put a volt meter on it, saw 12.4vdc at idle, no increase when I revved the motor. I saw 12.8v with engine off. I pulled the fairing and checked all connections and fuses, everything was good, no melting or corrosion at all. Disconnected the regulator and checked the alternator output, it was something like 48vAC and increased with revs. I pulled the tank and looked for damaged wires, saw nothing.

I think this means my regulator is trash, right? I checked the resistance between the 2 yellow wires and saw .2 ohms which I think is good. I didn't see any other tests else mentioned in the threads that I read. Are there any other tests that I can do to verify that the regulator is bad?

If it is the regulator do you recommend the stock Ducati replacement or the Electrosport?

TIA

when I had issues it was a chicken or egg scenario with burnt out connectors/ regulator.

You've done the connectors etc so it would seem to be regulator.

I stuck with the standard Ducati item for the advantage it was a straight plug in (bar one dodged connector repair) it is a bit pricey and there's the question of longevity. Dlaing has comprehensive posts on his regulator replacement including the rewiring required to make it fit.

when I had issues it was a chicken or egg scenario with burnt out connectors/ regulator.

You've done the connectors etc so it would seem to be regulator.

I stuck with the standard Ducati item for the advantage it was a straight plug in (bar one dodged connector repair) it is a bit pricey and there's the question of longevity. Dlaing has comprehensive posts on his regulator replacement including the rewiring required to make it fit.

Thanks Martin. Poor Teddy took quite a bashing throughout your ordeal :D

Since no electrical gurus have chimed in and I have to get the bike back on the road by Friday I guess I'll order a new regulator from these guys and see if they can rush it to me

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com

$129 for the Ducati part isn't so bad compared to the $40 I just paid for the stupid neutral switch :bbblll:

I have that same rectifier...works fine, just be sure to understand that it's designed to be wired directly to the battery, and not through the original wiring harness like the Guzzi OEM piece. Caused me LOTS o' problems... :blush:

This from the Okieguzzi Yahoo forum:

Yesterday I had to replace the Volt Regulator on the 04 Breva. In the past I had to do it on two other bikes . I figured that with the new closed loop system they had up graded the regulator. Instead of going back to the stock or that $140 after market which I had fail on a EV , I chose to use what I ended with on the other bikes. It is a 32 amp rated Rectifier/regulator from Custom Chrome PN 25353. It is for the big Harleys. It has worked great on the 98 EV for over 3 years. Cost was $69.99 + Tax at Freedom Cycles in OKC.

Wiring is a snap. Cut their connector off butt splice to the yellow wires coming from the alternator, then run the other wire to the battery. On this bike the output reads 14.3 VDC @ 4000RPM. .

Russ

Euro Moto Electrics came through with the rush order voltage regulator so I'm back on the road and headed for Laconia. A BIG thank you to Carl Allison, Gary Cheek, and all others who have posted some of their electrical wisdom on this board in the past. I'd be lost without the search function here.

I especially thank Jaap for keeping this board going. :notworthy:

Victor, if you're out there, I hope we cross paths in Laconia. I think I'll be at the racetrack on Saturday. Other than that I haven't a clue where I'll be.