blowing fuse

mdude

my now less beloved V11 blows fuse nr 4 (from tail end, with main light symbol)) every time I start it. This started when I chucked in Dans GEI-relays.

It starts, runs well for four or five minutes, then the revcounter dies and the light goes into park mode. The bike still runs, but on the battery apparently. When I then shut off its dead apart from the neutral light which still shines.

Diagnosis?

(damn, I hate electrics!)

Why did you install the GEI relays?

Was it acting up or did you do it for preventative reasons?

If it was acting up before, you likely have a problem that needs in depth diagnosing.

You may also have overloaded the starter and headlight relays, so they may need replacing.

Possible problems are bad grounds, loose or bad connections, bad voltage regulator, a short somewhere, etc. :huh2:

If you installed the GEI for merely preventative reasons, you likely have the rare situation of a bad GEI relay.

the revcounter dies and the light goes into park mode. The bike still runs, but on the battery apparently. When I then shut off its dead apart from the neutral light which still shines.

Diagnosis?

(damn, I hate electrics!)

Sounds like the START relay is failing. Not sure on the fuse popping... but I would start with a START relay and charging the battery. If the light stays on and tach keeps working, perhaps the failing relay is causing an amperage spike popping the fuse?

(BTW, I'm a new guy around here but my START relay was failing and these were the exact same symptoms several times so I hope my experience can help. I replaced the relay with another 5 pin bosch unit then later with Dans GEI units and have had no problems since)

Why did you install the GEI relays?

Was it acting up or did you do it for preventative reasons?

If it was acting up before, you likely have a problem that needs in depth diagnosing.

You may also have overloaded the starter and headlight relays, so they may need replacing.

Possible problems are bad grounds, loose or bad connections, bad voltage regulator, a short somewhere, etc. :huh2:

If you installed the GEI for merely preventative reasons, you likely have the rare situation of a bad GEI relay.

It was not acting up before. Just installed them cause it seemed like a good idea. Switched back to OEM, so I'll see tomorrow.

Update: It starts and runs quite well. When I turn on the light the revcounter dies, theres no light and eventually the fuse for the lights dies. It runs still but now from the battery. Switched relays yesterday and the fault is still here...

Changing tyres today and the mech would have a look, but was puzzled.

Any new suggestions?

Voltage reg maybe, as suggested by D?

Since problem happened after upgrading relays, maybe something came loose under relay connectors.

I would also check amperage across where the fuse that is blowing goes.

Test with lights on and off.

With lights off, also check voltage output at various RPMs, from 2500 to 5000 RPM it should be between 14.0 and 14.6.