Test result guzzi vs beemer

mdude

Swedish/norwegian BIKE magazine tested the 1200Sport against the new R1200R (nekkid one). Surprisingly enough, despite the fact that the BeeM have a lot more power/torque, the 1200Sport was the winner. It was quicker and more fun in the twisties, more alive, had a lot more character in the engine room and was way ahead in the Looks department. Good thing! Especially since the new Beemer has been hailed as a major improvement over the last model.

Im beginning to get the urge.....

Swedish/norwegian BIKE magazine tested the 1200Sport against the new R1200R (nekkid one). Surprisingly enough, despite the fact that the BeeM have a lot more power/torque, the 1200Sport was the winner. It was quicker and more fun in the twisties, more alive, had a lot more character in the engine room and was way ahead in the Looks department. Good thing! Especially since the new Beemer has been hailed as a major improvement over the last model.

Im beginning to get the urge.....

A friend of mine has a 1200 Sport and she likes it!

Just out of interest, did they dyno the Guzzi? If so what were the power and torque readings?

Guy :helmet:

That is a surprise!

The specifications would lead one to think the BMW a clear winner, in all categories except character.

BMW

claimed 107 horsepower at 7,500 rpm and 85 lb-ft of torque at 6,000 rpm, at the crank.

estimated 97.3 hp at 7,900 rpm with 74.4 lb-ft torque at 6,400 rpm, at the rear wheel

under 500lbs with full tank of gas.

ABS

igniton immobilizer

options

traction control

heated grips

electronic suspension control

tire pressure control

anti-theft

center stand

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...?ArticleID=3498

437# dry weight

109HP

rating 74.7

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bmw_r1200r_2007.php

MG

Guzzi claims 93.9 horsepower and 73.8 lb-ft of torque

options

ABS

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...?ArticleID=3837

505# dry weight

95HP

rating 67.1

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/moto_guzz..._sport_2007.php

A friend of mine has a 1200 Sport and she likes it!

Just out of interest, did they dyno the Guzzi? If so what were the power and torque readings?

Guy :helmet:

yes, they dynoed it but i cant remember the figures. I sneaked through the mag at the bookstore while the missus was shopping.... I'll have to buy it I guess.

Testers didnt like the buzziness of the Beemer.

[Hey Mdude!

I'd be real interested in the dyno figures on that 1200 also.

Decent test info is hard to come by on these bikes, they seem to have fallen foul of timing, initial "rush" to buy Brevas and Grisos for all those peeps who fancied a Guzz with something other than late 80s dynamics :glare: , but now everyone waiting for the 8 valve :lol:

Here's a compare with the (more powerful than r1200R) 1200 BMW sport thing. The guzz got a good write up being more user friendly than the contorted Bee-em (which is a bit of a shock to traditional Guzz market), but Guzz is waaay down on power, which may, or may not be important, but sure as hell sells bikes! These are crank figures..

whoops, apologies for stutter, and meant to say "shock to trad Beemer market"!

Leistungsdiagramm_900x7951170515327.jpg

Leistungsdiagramm_900x7951170515327.jpg

bmw_vs_guzz.pdf

. It was quicker and more fun in the twisties, more alive, had a lot more character in the engine room

Guzzis are "blessed" with character and they are alive.....

And you don't get these from whatever else in this planet.... almost.

Long live Guzzi :mg: