Sport 1100i information?

Mr. Average

Greetings motorcycle lovers. I just bought my first Moto Guzzi, a pristine, one owner 1997 Sport 1100i. I have been reading this forum about the V-1100 models, but would like to find out more about the Sport 1100i. Anybody have any suggestions or links for me. This is a great board BTW and a good resource. You folks that keep it running do a fantastic job. Thanks for any help. :mg:

Greetings motorcycle lovers. I just bought my first Moto Guzzi, a pristine, one owner 1997 Sport 1100i. I have been reading this forum about the V-1100 models, but would like to find out more about the Sport 1100i. Anybody have any suggestions or links for me. This is a great board BTW and a good resource. You folks that keep it running do a fantastic job. Thanks for any help. :mg:

I would be glad to help if you have any specific questions about anything.

My self got the corsa and after spending so many km with my baby there are so many thing I have learned about.

Do also the tuning my self and have a couple of working open EPROMS developed. :mg:

Sites give only general infos and my self could suggest the following

www.agostiniduilio.com

www.daes-mototec.de

www.dynotec.de

www.stein-dinse.de

Congrats for the bike IMO is one of the most beautifull and diachronical Guzzis ever made. :grin:

Hope it's a keeper for you. :thumbsup:

I would be glad to help if you have any specific questions about anything.

My self got the corsa and after spending so many km with my baby there are so many thing I have learned about.

Do also the tuning my self and have a couple of working open EPROMS developed. :mg:

Sites give only general infos and my self could suggest the following

www.agostiniduilio.com

www.daes-mototec.de

www.dynotec.de

www.stein-dinse.de

Congrats for the bike IMO is one of the most beautifull and diachronical Guzzis ever made. :grin:

Hope it's a keeper for you. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind remarks. I am excited about it. I have two BMWs and a 92 Ducati 900ss, but this is my first Guzzi. The man I bought it from is 65 and he bought it new when he was 55. It looks like it just came off the showroom floor and has 15,000 miles on it. I am 55 now, so I hope I can enjoy it for 10 years like he did. :bike:

I have a 1996 model Sport 1100 that I've owned since new.

Any specific questions, just ask away...

1st thing I can think of is tire choice. These bikes are kinda sensitive to tires. They like the pointy, quick-steering kind. I'm running Bridgestone BT-014 on mine and they are great, though short-lived. Metzeler's Z6 Roadtec or Pirelli's Diablo Strada would work if you're looking for a sport-touring tire.

2nd is that the seating position is kind of extreme. I've learned to use my legs to support my body so my arms don't get tired. It works. I've ridden mine all over the country with the OEM clipons and no troubles.

:bike:

2nd is that the seating position is kind of extreme. I've learned to use my legs to support my body so my arms don't get tired. It works. I've ridden mine all over the country with the OEM clipons and no troubles.

Something to bear in mind about the Spots & Sportis is that they still have steel tanks, so magnetic tank bags work. To help w/ sport-touring, pack some of your bulky luggage [towels & clothes] into a big tank bag, & use it to help support your torso on those longer rides.

Just passing along an FYI I remember from someone who had a Spot 1100 & shared some of hard-won experience w/ me... :)

:mg:

I have a 1996 model Sport 1100 that I've owned since new.

Any specific questions, just ask away...

1st thing I can think of is tire choice. These bikes are kinda sensitive to tires. They like the pointy, quick-steering kind. I'm running Bridgestone BT-014 on mine and they are great, though short-lived. Metzeler's Z6 Roadtec or Pirelli's Diablo Strada would work if you're looking for a sport-touring tire.

Mike, I think the Sport i's have 17 inch wheels so tyre choices are a lot easier. They also have a cush drive in the rear wheel which seems to have dealt with the gearbox issues on straight cut three dog box models. I know you've had no problems with yours but it is a common problem. I think you just got lucky and/or ride it right! :grin:

Pete

The world, she just keeps shrinking...

Nice to see you at Little Switzerland last week. I had no idea you were going Guzzi.

I've been hanging out here for quite a while myself, living the M-G life vicariously through this great forum, waiting for the right V11S to come along.

Hope to see you and the new steed out on the road soon. Maybe we can drag mikek out for a ride.

Oh yeah; from the above responders, it looks like you're in good hands.

:bier:

Mike, I think the Sport i's have 17 inch wheels so tyre choices are a lot easier. They also have a cush drive in the rear wheel which seems to have dealt with the gearbox issues on straight cut three dog box models. I know you've had no problems with yours but it is a common problem. I think you just got lucky and/or ride it right! :grin:

Pete

Yep that's it with the Tires 17 inch both . Though the back has a 70 profile and on the Daytona RS is a 60,

it makes it smooth on corners when with he 70. Best tire for that IMO is the Z6 Metzeler, they do make it on 70 and it is quite sticky and in all conditions stable. :thumbsup:

Pete

Yeah Pete. If I remember '97/'98 Sporti's came with a 160/70-17 rear. The 18"er on the 96s and back does limit tire choice a bit. The cool thing is that the bikes handle great with the Metzeler Z6 Roadtec and they're good for 7k miles in normal riding if a short-lived sport tire isn't your cup-o-tea...

When street riding, I shift my Sport like I would an old truck. I preload the shifter, slip the clutch, and use the throttle. I don't usually "bang gears". It's really not that much slower and it sounds really cool with the Staintunes...

I guess I probably haven't used 5th gear much while I've had this bike. I intentionally used 5th a lot the other day to listen to it. No more noise than the other gears. A little bit of luck and Mobil 1, I suppose...

I really don't ride it much anymore and occasionally think of selling it, but everytime I take it out on a twisty road I remember why I fell in love with the Sport 1100/Daytona series of bikes...

The world, she just keeps shrinking...

Nice to see you at Little Switzerland last week. I had no idea you were going Guzzi.

I've been hanging out here for quite a while myself, living the M-G life vicariously through this great forum, waiting for the right V11S to come along.

Hope to see you and the new steed out on the road soon. Maybe we can drag mikek out for a ride.

Oh yeah; from the above responders, it looks like you're in good hands.

:bier:

:D It is a small world indeed...but I'd hate to have to paint it. I have wanted a Guzzi for several years now and have always been in love with Eurpean motorcycles. My first question for those who might know is how to adjust the idle speed. The bike is idling at around 900 RPM which is a little slow. I have been reading the shop manual, but it is a bit unclear on this. I was able to put about 150 miles on it over the weekend and the suspension seems pretty good. I did scrape the side stand a couple of times however. :huh:

The bike is the original metallic black color which looks ok in some light, in other light looks a rather alarming greenish color. I am thinking of having it repainted the original yellow. Any thoughts on this crazy idea?