Lost my speedo this weekend

Guest Mongo

Guest Mongo

I was out for a early morning ride before it got to freakin' hot and at some point when I checked the speedo it had quit working :angry: . The tripometer had quit as well. Since this unit is run off of a cable, am I to assume the cable has broken? There are some serious angles on it. Oh, by the way it's an '04 V11 with under 3K on it. Can anyone recommend an online source for parts since it's about 4 hours to the nearest dealer.

try jigglin the cable, and if you can take it off and reroute the cable to have less bends, that might fix it for a good while till you can maybe get a new one but I hear its more the tiny gear at the end of the cable that gets stripped out rather than the cable breaking. Might want to take it off at the speedo and see, DON'T lose anything or you WILL need new stuff.

You can buy a universal speedo cable at an auto parts store for about $ 5.00. Mine has worked for about 12,000 miles after the original took a dump at 3,000.

The Guzzi replacement is quite a bit more.

Just straighten out the bend where it goes into the transmission.

I had the same problem with my '04 Cafe Sport. The speedo cable failed after only 130 miles.

A local dealer tipped me off on the universal cable also. However, the crimp on fitting's O.D. was a little too large, so it interfered with the inside of the cable housing. That caused the first attempt to fail in about 25 miles. Next I tried lubricating one with grease as someone else had suggested. Bad idea-it failed before I got out the driveway. The next attempt failed because the cable was slightly too long. The last one worked OK. Meanwhile, I learned that MG had redesigned the housing to eliminate the main cause of failure: too tight a bend just above the transmission. There is a new part number. My suggestion is to contact a dealer and get them to obtain the new cable housing/flex cable. Meanwhile, take advantage of my trial and error experience and make do with a universal cable. Check the O.D. of the crimp fitting to make sure it rotates freely in the cable housing near the speedo. I ground mine down with a bench grinder by spinning the fitting by hand at the same time.

Guest Mongo

I had the same problem with my '04 Cafe Sport. The speedo cable failed after only 130 miles.

A local dealer tipped me off on the universal cable also. However, the crimp on fitting's O.D. was a little too large, so it interfered with the inside of the cable housing. That caused the first attempt to fail in about 25 miles. Next I tried lubricating one with grease as someone else had suggested. Bad idea-it failed before I got out the driveway. The next attempt failed because the cable was slightly too long. The last one worked OK. Meanwhile, I learned that MG had redesigned the housing to eliminate the main cause of failure: too tight a bend just above the transmission. There is a new part number. My suggestion is to contact a dealer and get them to obtain the new cable housing/flex cable. Meanwhile, take advantage of my trial and error experience and make do with a universal cable. Check the O.D. of the crimp fitting to make sure it rotates freely in the cable housing near the speedo. I ground mine down with a bench grinder by spinning the fitting by hand at the same time.

Thanks for all the help folks! This board is the BEST! :notworthy:

Guest Mongo

There is an updated cable that appears to last. Mine's currently lasted over 6,000 miles. I can look up the part number when I get to the shop tomorrow.

Man Greg, that would be great! I won't sound like a blithering idiot when I call the dealer to order the part! Thanks!