shock spring install, whcih side??

wheelsucker

On the non-ohlins le mans/sports, when installing a new spring, which side of the shock comes off and how? Please tell me its not the side with the hose going to the reservoir.... also anyone know how I remove the end of the shock to install the new spring? I haven't taken it off yet so I'm trying to determine how I'm giong to do this and make sure I have all the right tools before I dig in. Thanks.

The shock doesnt come apart,just back off the preload adjuster rings all the way till the spring is slack then you should be able to remove the split collar that retains the spring at the end opposite the hose.Swap springs, replace the collar and reset your preload.You only need spanners to remove the shock and "C" spanner to slacken the rings (its probably easier to slacken these before removing the shock).

I had more trouble than Bertie.

For me backing the rings off as much as possible did not allow enough slack to remove the split collar.

I had to use ratcheting tie downs to compress the spring enough to remove the split collar.

Someone else posted they simply pried the spring a little with a screw driver and that gave the collar enough room to come off.

And another person suggested hose clamps to compress the springs. But that seems a bit dangerous to me, but if you get enough hose clamps, perhaps it can be done safely.

I think the person that recommended the tie down method shed a fair amount of blood :doh:

Be careful. We don't want you hurt.

I just got my new Ohlins spring in the mail today & I was wondering if anyone else has put theirs on yet. I'm curious as to the best way to support the bike once I get the shock loose to remove & replace the spring. Will the bike sort of fold up like an accordian if I dont support it somehow? Is this a job where I need to remove the back wheel & support it that way? I was hoping just to take the seat off & get it from there :grin: but that seems too easy :not:

The bike needs to be supported and you need be able to support AND move the swingarm so that the bolt can be removed and then re-inserted.

Also, you don't want the rear dropping down and damaging the shaft.

The tire can stay on.

I had to remove my airbox to remove the shock.

It may be easier to remove just the lower shock bolt and then remove the spring, if that is possible?????????

I swapped out my stock spring for the Ohlins today. What I did first was completely remove the shock from the bike. Next I put a coil compressor on the spring. With the coil compressor fitted to the spring then I put the compressor in a vice & started to compress the spring. Once the spring was tight enough I removed the blue clip on thing. After that it was simple, just remove the spring, clean & lube of course, then slip the new spring on.

Many thanks to fellow forum member Tracey for his help with this project :notworthy::thumbsup:

Once I had it back on the road the bike seems to soak up the bumps a little better. I need to get the forks resprung as well to make the job complete.