Metzeler Sportec M-1s

Greg Field

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Cheers Antonio, I'm ordering Z6's on monday.Are they basically the same tyre as the Diablo?

They share engineering, materials, and manufacturing facilities, so I reckon "basically the same" is a good way to think of these 2 superb tires. In the end, I reckon "the REAL difference" between Z6 and Strada comes down to a market share strategy whereby Pirelli/Metzeler optimizes sales and market penetration by fully leveraging both names, each a traditional powerhouse in the industry. :race:

==> http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/acces...es/metzeler.php

==> http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=773749

==> http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...x?ArticleID=370

Good choice, IMHO, Bertie. I'm so impressed with these tires that (on second Z6 rear now, about to put on second Z6 front) I'd rank them as a first reason for anyone who "got out of motorcycling" for a period of time to get back IN!! (As I once did many years ago -- but won't ever again unless or until I get "taken out" :o )

FWIW, coupla comments. I don't know what kind of mileage to expect from Strada's, but I got 7500 miles on the last Z6 rear. Looks like I'll have 9000 or better on the Z6 front without a hint of cupping, squaring-off, feathering, etc. Previous to Z6's, I'd become used to about half this mileage on tires with this kind of performance. I wear the Z6 rear all the way to the edges. The rears are dual-compound and don't square-off the way single-compound tires do, so they don't tend to go squirrelly as they approach retirement, so to speak. ;) I don't "stretch" my tire mileage, and generally replace them before performance begins to deteriorate. By my experience the rears get thinnest 5 cm off centerline long before running out of center rubber.

Guest ratchethack

Greg, I can't offer any info on on steel belting being THE SAME in both with certainty, yet I note that both are advertized with the zero-degree radial design originally patented and refined by Metzeler. They use different terms for compounds used, but who but Pirelli/Metzeler would be able to verify if different terms are used for the same compounds in both tires -- one easily imagines they're rife with trade secrets protected by high security measures. . .

Again, the tires seem to be extremely close on every performance criteria analysis I've read about them, but I don't know about mileage on the Strada's. You'd think that mileage would be similar but this ain't necessarily a good assumption. Mileage could well be the key differentiator that could account (at least in part) for the price disparity -- or not. . . :huh2:

Anybody know what typical mileage can be expected on Strada's? :huh2:

Anybody know what typical mileage can be expected on Strada's? :huh2:

No idea <_>

The strada seems to be harder than the Z6, Cornering, is the Z6 very friendely to me :grin:

Rob, buy with trust. Buy Z6!!!

The mileage Ratch just said is almost right. I have to recognize that the structure of the roads in UK is opener than in Europe. That's one of the reason your tyres are faster end of the edge.

If the Z6s and Pirellis are the same, why would anyone buy the Z6s? After all, the Pirellis are quite a bit cheaper. Do the Pirellis have the same steel belting as the Metzelers? 7

I think in a test Ratchet posted they were close but not identical.

Z6s were rated better for dry traction and the Stradas better for wet traction.

I expect mileage should be about the same.

My rear Strada went completely bald on center at 5500 miles.

I like to replace when center gets to legal limit.

So, they should have been replaced at 5000 miles.

All the tires before the Strada lasted about 4000 to 5000, so I would rate it as excellent mileage for sport touring.

If I had a drilled cush drive they might last longer. :)

I've run both the M-1s and the Z-6 on my '03 Lemans, as well as the M3. I like the feel, handling and cornering ability of Metzler tires, but the M-1 is just too soft to run on the rear of a V-11, unless you want to be putting on new tires all the time. All that Guzzi torque out of the turns, you know. I am not an aggressive rider, but I got only 2800 miles out of the M1 on the rear, and handling ability was actually compromised significantly after 2000-2200 miles. The front M1 provided 4500 miles of wear.

Sure, the M1 is a sticker tire, but if handling is compromised that quickly it ain't worth it, especially considering the cost and hassle of changing tires. (Of course if I worked at Moto International…….)

The current tire configuration on my V-11 is M3 in the front and Z6 on the ear. This seems to work just fine. May try Z6s all around next time.

Guest ratchethack

If I had a drilled cush drive they might last longer. :)

Hey Dave. I just read on another thread that rubber on motorcycles seems to be an obsolete throwback to pre-industrial times. It seems that rubber hardens up over time. Not good. Since we're well past the Industrial Age and well into the iPod Age now, urethane is evidently "better" than rubber. Of course, it follows from this that rubber tires are obsolete. ;)

It seems that with "6 hours of shopping and 2 hours of molding", the most creative, outside-the-box, progressive and non-constipated, "liberated sphincter" thinking, and oh-so-sophisticated, Post-Modern nouveau stupide mentality has it that you could make your own urethane tires in your garage that would be "better" than your Diablo Strada was -- and get better mileage, too! :wacko:

Why, with this kinda brilliance, I' b'lieve you could give Pirelli/Metzeler a run for the money and drive 'em right outta business! :rasta:

Guest The Big Katuna

I am really liking my new Metzeler M3's,confidence inspiring wet or dry, good neutral feel. we'll see how they hold up in the long run, my riding usually consists of a 20 mile commute 3 times a week and a spirited jaunt in the North Ga. Mountains every other weekend. oh,and my Wednesday bike nights at Hooters. :bier:

I think they are better as Diablo is. The handling is very, very good.

Rob, the condition of my Z6 after 5000km. Almost 5mm to go.

A 10- cent worth of advice I recon ;)

Show the sides , are you doing anything with the bike over there, or is it just a ladies ride Antonio?

My M-1s wore out in 5K. On the advice on this boards members (well, mostly Rachethack's) I replaced them with a set of Z6s. I love these tires. Plenty of grip, great handling characteristics and, hopefully, longer wear.

Thanks for the advice Rachethack. By they way, you mention that they have 90% of the grip that the M-1s had. You must ride fairly hard to have discovered this. Did you take them to the track of something?

While I was in LA on business last week I notice that I guy had a set of Z6s on his R1. I'm not sure if that says something about his riding style or about the Z6s?

Either way, great tires for the V11 in my opinion.

Guest ratchethack

My M-1s wore out in 5K. On the advice on this boards members (well, mostly Rachethack's) I replaced them with a set of Z6s. I love these tires. Plenty of grip, great handling characteristics and, hopefully, longer wear.

I appreciate the feedback, PB. Glad you like the Z6's. Frankly, I don't know anyone who rides in demanding terrain on the road who I could imagine wouldn't like 'em (unless they're simply riding the slab and nothing except maybe mileage matters. :bbblll: ), but to each his own. :huh2:

By they way, you mention that they have 90% of the grip that the M-1s had. You must ride fairly hard to have discovered this. Did you take them to the track of something?

I run into plenty of demanding surface conditions where I like to ride, and I do wear 'em all the way to the edges on the rears, and pretty close on the fronts. Let this be NO measure of riding skill -- most will understand this! I speak only for myself as a confirmed, yet dedicated Road Geez. -_- For the most part, the conditions I select tires for are unlike anything found on a track -- everything from ideal tarmac to varying conditions that often include combinations of water, sand, marbles, off-camber, tar snakes, broken surfaces, leaves, with a wide range of surface temps jumping in and out of shadows, etc. This is a LOT to ask of a tire relative to the simple demands of the track, my friend! Under such conditions, track tires are a severe liability, and IMHO worse than boat-anchors -- though this doesn't seem to stop many from misusing them (shall we just be completely honest here, and say, "abusing them"?!) where I ride. . . . <_<

I manage to slide every set of tires one way or another. Wot I love about the Z6's is that you can tell by feel very well when and how they will slide, and keep the power on in a slide with confidence, riding them very predictably and controllably on partial traction. :notworthy: Having ridden in the dirt for many decades, this is old hat f'er me, and great fun. :race: Much less so with tires that break suddenly and unpredictably, according to wot's going on at the contact patches that you never can fully anticipate on the road!!! :o

While I was in LA on business last week I notice that I guy had a set of Z6s on his R1. I'm not sure if that says something about his riding style or about the Z6s?

Now this is just me, but I've seen lots of stuff on the roads by way of horrific mismatches. Seeing someone on an R1 to me is NO indicator of the rider's ability, NOR of his riding style, NOR does it say anything about tire choice!!! IMHO looking at the unknown means nothing wotsoever.

Let's face it. The woods 'r full of knuckleheads of every description riding bikes and tires of every description. The combinations and permutations are limitless. Shall we make conclusions based on how unknown riders dress up and their selection of gear, which seems to me is often based on nothing but looks and perhaps wot they see Ruben Xaus -- or Big Paulie at OCC, for that matter -- doing in photo's in magazines?! We have everything from well-seasoned riders who know wot they're about, and then we have some that are pre-fabbed spectacular disasters just itching for a time and place to fully express themselves, and then we have all manner of riders in betwen. Since a great percentage of riders these days are really more posers than riders, more interested in competing in a parking lot parade competition somewhere than actual riding, believing they can strap on credibility and skill as easily as putting on a suit of leathers or a dangerous and improperly matched fat rear tire, or climbing aboard a very capable machine (many's the rank beginner without a clue doing this every day on his first bike, which might well be a 180 hp exotic hyperbike <_< , all over the landscape, by my experience) :doh: -- IMHO best take NOTHING for granted WRT assumptions of any kind when encountering the unknown!!! :whistle:

Cdr. Hatch Flackjacket, Curmudgeon

I think they are better as Diablo is. The handling is very, very good.

Rob, the condition of my Z6 after 5000km. Almost 5mm to go.

Thanks Antonio, I'm having a Z6 fitted on the rear tomorrow,the front BT020 will stay a while as its got plenty of life left in it. I know mixing tyres is not recommended but I dont want to dump a perfectly usable front.

Hey Dave. I just read on another thread that rubber on motorcycles seems to be an obsolete throwback to pre-industrial times. It seems that rubber hardens up over time. Not good. Since we're well past the Industrial Age and well into the iPod Age now, urethane is evidently "better" than rubber. Of course, it follows from this that rubber tires are obsolete. ;)

It seems that with "6 hours of shopping and 2 hours of molding", the most creative, outside-the-box, progressive and non-constipated, "liberated sphincter" thinking, and oh-so-sophisticated, Post-Modern nouveau stupide mentality has it that you could make your own urethane tires in your garage that would be "better" than your Diablo Strada was -- and get better mileage, too! :wacko:

Why, with this kinda brilliance, I' b'lieve you could give Pirelli/Metzeler a run for the money and drive 'em right outta business! :rasta:

:!:

Hey, hey, HEY now! I don't recall Dangerous Dave saying anything about urethane being a suitable replacement for the non-rubber polymer used in moto-tires! I can tell you from 1st hand experience [i used to sell shoes in a previous life], that urethane-soled tennies are slicker'n greased owl snot when wet, so while urethane would be entirely adequate as a shock absorber when completely enclosed in say, a Moto Guzzi cush drive, it's performance characteristics are completely contraindicated for use in vehicle tires. :nerd::2c:

But carrying your ridicule for someone else over to an unrelated thread is completely uncool. :moon: Go for a ride until you regain your senses! :race:

:mg: