Help Electrics Problem

Guest V11RossoNigel

Guest V11RossoNigel

Hi there everyone, :(

I have a bit a of a problem, all of a sudden my dip-beam, main-beam, flash-beam, hooter, and front brake sensor that activates rear brake light, are all not working. I have checked all fuses, and all are ok. Could this be a relay that has died. The chap before me has replaced most of the relays with the Bosch types, but I dont know which relay controls which. I can see from my wiring diagram that there is a light relay but do not know which one it is. Can anyone please tell me as to what all the relays under the seat control, if someone could list them in the order from the front to the back. Also which Bosch relay do I need to order to replace the light relay. A little more information the front pilot light (side light) is working along with the rear light, also the rear brake light is activated OK from the foot pedal. I would be most gratefull of any help as electrics are not my best subject. :doh: Thanks to anyone who can help

The bike is V11 Rosso Mandello 2001

Cheers

Nigel

Hi there everyone, :(

I have a bit a of a problem, all of a sudden my dip-beam, main-beam, flash-beam, hooter, and front brake sensor that activates rear brake light, are all not working. I have checked all fuses, and all are ok. Could this be a relay that has died. The chap before me has replaced most of the relays with the Bosch types, but I dont know which relay controls which. I can see from my wiring diagram that there is a light relay but do not know which one it is. Can anyone please tell me as to what all the relays under the seat control, if someone could list them in the order from the front to the back. Also which Bosch relay do I need to order to replace the light relay. A little more information the front pilot light (side light) is working along with the rear light, also the rear brake light is activated OK from the foot pedal. I would be most gratefull of any help as electrics are not my best subject. :doh: Thanks to anyone who can help

The bike is V11 Rosso Mandello 2001

Cheers

Nigel

It could be relay related but if I understand you correctly most of the dead items are on the left bar switch so I'd check the connections in the multiplug for corrosion (remove the tank and its on the LHS of the upper frame rail) the front brake switch fault could be unrelated (maybe its full of water due to the lovely weather we are currently having :D) .

Someone else may have a better idea but even if this isn't the cause cleaning and greasing all the electrical connections here is a wise move so your not wasting your time :D , pay particular attention to the regulator wires as one of these corrodes badly and eventually breaks :bbblll:

Guest ratchethack

Nigel, Pasotibbs beat me to the punch. My sentiments exactly. Electrical contact cleaner on the LHS switchgear and ensuring solid ground (earth) paths would be the place to start.

For future reference, the relay line-up from front to back is: START, LIGHTS, NEUTRAL, ECU, and EFI.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

The Dip is on a seperate relay from the other indicated failures.

If it were not for the dip beam being one of the problems, I would say it is most likely a bad starter relay.

So, it is probably as the others suggested, unless the dip beam burnt out about the same time.

Of course it is usually easier to test for a bad relay by swapping than it is look under the tank for bad connections, so I would check the relays first.

Beware the Starter relay is the only one that requires five pins.

The other relays could be four or five pins.

So, when you swap, make sure you put a five pin relay in the starter relay socket.

electrical gremlins - how lovely...Not!

I had probs with my Scura and it turned out to be a cable scrubbing against the frame. A good layer of gaffer tape solved the problem.

Hope you get it fixed soon - it's a pain in the buttocks! :luigi:

Best regards

Søren

• 2 weeks later...

electrical gremlins - how lovely...Not!

I had probs with my Scura and it turned out to be a cable scrubbing against the frame. A good layer of gaffer tape solved the problem.

Hope you get it fixed soon - it's a pain in the buttocks! :luigi:

Best regards

Søren

Hi Søren, where did you find your scrubbing cable? I'm currently pursuing electrical gremlins of the exact same sort as mentioned in this thread and have been for four friggin' weeks. And I've got ten thumbs and have run out of garage beer... not liking it.

Hi Søren, where did you find your scrubbing cable? I'm currently pursuing electrical gremlins of the exact same sort as mentioned in this thread and have been for four friggin' weeks. And I've got ten thumbs and have run out of garage beer... not liking it.

Answering myself today, been doing that a lot lately.

Tore off all the Greenies clothes last night, checked, opened and lubed all the contacts, multipoints, relays, fuses, lamps, bulbs, touched and checked visually all cables. Opened headlamp, rearlight, changed bulbs....

took a step back and stared hard at the nude bike in front of me....

proceeded to the muttering of chants and spells in long forgotten languages, calling on deities with powers to make things work again. there was strong forces at play in the dark corners of the garage... and mice...

put things back together again.

hey presto: got lights, high beam, brake lights and horn back! havent test driven it yet, but these things didnt work at all before so maybe...

what bothers me a bit is that I still havent got a clue as to WHERE the fault was, but I maybe all she wanted was a bit of petting?

Martin, That is great news! Very likely you had a connector not connecting well. And not unlikely it was a combination of fettling that gave your 'cure.' It would have been very frustrating to try them one at a time!

Of course, it could have been the chanting. Sometimes Italian creatures do things just to get you to think about them. :D

Guest V11RossoNigel

Hi there Martin, well mine are all working now, and I did just the same checked rechecked, cleaned reconnected everything and as if by magic all ok, a little annoying cause did not actually find the offending area, :homer: but maybe just needed a bit of a clean up, so I don't expect the problem to reoccure to soon fingers crossed. Still its all a good learning curve. :luigi:

Thanks to everyone else that helped out with comments

cheers guys, I can relax with a few beers now :bier:

Nigel