relays

richard100t

Well the connections seem to be ok. When I tun on the turn signals all four light up. The idiot light in the dash is not lighting up however. This is where I noticed the problem starting, the idiot light started to fade & when it quit, so did the turn signals. Any advice?

When I turn my hazard switch on, all four turn signals flash but not the indicator (dash) light. V11's also has that hazard light, no? I think your problem might be in that circuit since all four light up.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no hazard lights on V11.

I can only imagine that the current is getting bridged at either the switch or the indicator lamp.

I think it is more likely to be at the indicator lamp.

No, no hazard lights on V11.

I can only imagine that the current is getting bridged at either the switch or the indicator lamp.

I think it is more likely to be at the indicator lamp.

OK, yes if that model has one indicator light for both directions (seems newer models has separate ones), and that bulb has failed to shortcut (which is not very common but does happen) it would probably give exactly this behaviour except they should flash. The short could of course be somewhere else near the indicator light or in its socket.

OK, yes if that model has one indicator light for both directions (seems newer models has separate ones), and that bulb has failed to shortcut (which is not very common but does happen) it would probably give exactly this behaviour except they should flash. The short could of course be somewhere else near the indicator light or in its socket.

I think the socket is likely.

The contacts on the bulb are flimsy and can bridge the contacts in the socket.

You can see the wiring diagram here

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...9_V11_sport.gif

With LEDs involved don't know whether or not it would flash :huh2:

I think the socket is likely.

The contacts on the bulb are flimsy and can bridge the contacts in the socket.

You can see the wiring diagram here

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...9_V11_sport.gif

With LEDs involved don't know whether or not it would flash :huh2:

Well I initially thought it was a burned out bulb because the rear right quit working. Then the idiot light started getting dim, then the idiot light went out & now I have no flashing signals. I replaced both rear signals with new led's & replaced that can type fuse Ratchet talked about. I still have hi beam lights & the horn.

Well I initially thought it was a burned out bulb because the rear right quit working. Then the idiot light started getting dim, then the idiot light went out & now I have no flashing signals. I replaced both rear signals with new led's & replaced that can type fuse Ratchet talked about. I still have hi beam lights & the horn.

So, it was broken before you added the LED signals?

Adding the LEDs can complicate things.

You may need an electronic flasher or something to get the flasher to flash.

The original problem could have been caused by something else, like maybe the flasher, the can type thing with two wire terminals, that Ratchet recommended replacing.

Or a bad connection, or a bad bulb or????

How did the rear right bulb look? Burnt out or good?

Still all four bulbs being lit indicates some current crossing over.

But you may now have two problems.

I would pull the indicator bulb from the dash.

When you pull the bulb out, pay careful attention to how it went in, because there is a wrong way to insert it :o

So, it was broken before you added the LED signals?

Adding the LEDs can complicate things.

You may need an electronic flasher or something to get the flasher to flash.

The original problem could have been caused by something else, like maybe the flasher, the can type thing with two wire terminals, that Ratchet recommended replacing.

Or a bad connection, or a bad bulb or????

How did the rear right bulb look? Burnt out or good?

Still all four bulbs being lit indicates some current crossing over.

But you may now have two problems.

I would pull the indicator bulb from the dash.

When you pull the bulb out, pay careful attention to how it went in, because there is a wrong way to insert it :o

Ok Dave you win this one! :D I took one of the old conventional signals & re attached it to the right rear & guess what!???? It works. What I have here is an led problem...which is odd because I've had led's in the front for over a year now & they work fine...or they did before I put led's in the rear. Whats this electronic flasher doodad, where does it go etc?

Guest ratchethack

I replaced both rear signals with new led's & replaced that can type fuse Ratchet talked about. I still have hi beam lights & the horn.

What I have here is an led problem...which is odd because I've had led's in the front for over a year now & they work fine...or they did before I put led's in the rear. Whats this electronic flasher doodad, where does it go etc?

Richard, it looks like you may've confused "flasher fuse" (#7, 5A) with the can type "flasher relay" (see post #7)... Antonio's post #15 shows wot you need to replace this with for LED signals.

Incandescent bulbs use a terrifically larger amount of current compared to LEDs -- relatively speaking. The old relay is designed for this current and won't work with LEDs.

What I have here is an led problem...which is odd because I've had led's in the front for over a year now & they work fine...or they did before I put led's in the rear. Whats this electronic flasher doodad, where does it go etc?

Richard, it looks like you may've confused "flasher fuse" (#7, 5A) with the can type "flasher relay" (see post #7)... Antonio's post #15 shows wot you need to replace this with for LED signals.

Incandescent bulbs use a terrifically larger amount of current compared to LEDs -- relatively speaking. The old relay is designed for this current and won't work with LEDs.

So this relay replaces the aluminum 12b wagner unit...I can see that now. What does that wire connect to?

Dave, my bike only has one flasher wire. :)

I will post a pic of it.

Sorry for the shity photo,It is the wire red/white.

So, what connects to the flasher?

One ground, one hot, and one to the turn signal switch?

Or just one wire???!!!???

So this relay replaces the aluminum 12b wagner unit...I can see that now. What does that wire connect to?

Went thru all this bs on my bike. Per previous post the stock flasher works off the resistance of the incandecent bulbs. When you add the 2 led's the flasher will work off the 2 remaning stock T.S. When you added the 2 remaining led's at the rear no more working T.S. If you go to an auto store they will stock an electronic flasher with the same socket as the stock wagner. This should fix your problem. If not you will have to add some resistors or a relay that some cycle shops cary to go with the led's. Hope this helps!

If it's working properly you'll not only hear it, but you can feel it make and break contact by putting a finger on it. I'm pretty sure it's a dollar part at any Auto Mart anywhere on the planet. . . ;)

Hey Buddy , how can I check if a relay is really working??