Engine Rebuild

Guest V11RossoNigel

Guest V11RossoNigel

Hello everyone, this is mainly directed at the guys in the UK. I have an oil leak on the gear box, which I need to get sorted this winter......then I thought I want to de-black the engine as it is looking ratty.....so after more thinking........why not drop the engine out, strip down, de-black, rebuild and refurbish all the inner bits that could do with a fettle....pop back in a nice clean oil tight fettled engine/gearbox ready for confindent charging about next season....sounds quite straight forward.....problem is.. I hold my hands up I am not up to the job I dont have the knowledge......So here is my question, I am in the midlands who is good reliable and trustworthy near to me that if I delivered the engine/gearbox as a unit could then do all the work and hand it back fully sorted. When I say near to me I could travel anywhere in the Uk.. The nearest Guzzi chaps to me are Haywards of Cambridge, has anyone had dealings with this shop or maybe the one in Colliers Wood london Corsa Italiana.. Any info on a good Engine place would be gratefully received.....one last question how much do you think this would cost...ball park figure

cheers

Nigel

:helmet:

Corsa Italiana are very good, have years of Guzzi knowledge & are not cheap. Other possibilities are MotoCorsa (Dorset) - again years of Guzzi experience there, & there's Twiggers (Loughborough).

I don't have any idea of cost. Not sure what you mean by "inner bits".

KB :sun:

Errm? it's a 2003 model? So its only 4 years old? Yes? How many miles on it and do you know its service history?

Look, if the paint peeling really offends you then by all means strip it completely and get it blasted and rebuild but that's a LOT of time, money and effort for something that really, at the end of the day, doesn't affect the way the machine behaves.

By all means get any oil leaks fixed, that's a different matter entirely but I doubt if it will be anything either incredbly expensive or serious.

Look, I don't plan on rebuilding ANY modern Guzzi motor before it's done a MINIMUM of 50,000 miles. If it's had clean oil and regular servicing it will probably go W-A-Y further than that before you have to think about doing anything much to it. Maybe a camchain but apart from that???

Where is this leak coming from on the gearbox? it may be something really simple and easy!

Pete

I've heard nothing but good reports about these guys in Lichfield.

NBS servicing

The motor on Helen's bike is well tatty with the paint peeling away and the odd minor oil leak but we are just going to leave it until it needs something major done before we can be bothered to sort it out properly- its been like that for 2 years now with no problems.

Guy :helmet:

Guest V11RossoNigel

Thanks for the replies chaps, I had not heard of Twiggers, but they are probably the nearest to me. With regard to Pete, I think you are right I was letting my mind run away a little, even contemplated Cor-Rods, but I think as you suggested Pete sort out the gearbox leak...and just ride it for a few more seasons :race: ....it has only covered 15500 miles and is a 2001 model, so a wire brush and some spirex black should sort the motor for now....as she really runs like a beauty.......Anyway thanks again for your advise everyone.....its good to have some sensible people on here.........so in future when I have some run away mad and highly expensive brain waves its good to know you guys can bring my feet back to earth.

cheers

Nigel

Guest Nogbad

Thanks for the replies chaps, I had not heard of Twiggers, but they are probably the nearest to me. With regard to Pete, I think you are right I was letting my mind run away a little, even contemplated Cor-Rods, but I think as you suggested Pete sort out the gearbox leak...and just ride it for a few more seasons :race: ....it has only covered 15500 miles and is a 2001 model, so a wire brush and some spirex black should sort the motor for now....as she really runs like a beauty.......Anyway thanks again for your advise everyone.....its good to have some sensible people on here.........so in future when I have some run away mad and highly expensive brain waves its good to know you guys can bring my feet back to earth.

cheers

Nigel

There have been a few mentions on here of crackle finish paint being available from H-D dealers. You could probably tidy the bike up yourself if the peeling and blistering really annoys you without stripping down. Ok is won't look as good as a full strip and paint, but hey, one rainy ride and all that expensive work wouldn't look as good ever again.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...c=7199&st=0

Guest Bruce in MN

Hello everyone, this is mainly directed at the guys in the UK. I have an oil leak on the gear box, which I need to get sorted this winter......then I thought I want to de-black the engine as it is looking ratty.....so after more thinking........why not drop the engine out, strip down, de-black, rebuild and refurbish all the inner bits that could do with a fettle....pop back in a nice clean oil tight fettled engine/gearbox ready for confindent charging about next season....sounds quite straight forward.....problem is.. I hold my hands up I am not up to the job I dont have the knowledge......So here is my question, I am in the midlands who is good reliable and trustworthy near to me that if I delivered the engine/gearbox as a unit could then do all the work and hand it back fully sorted. When I say near to me I could travel anywhere in the Uk.. The nearest Guzzi chaps to me are Haywards of Cambridge, has anyone had dealings with this shop or maybe the one in Colliers Wood london Corsa Italiana.. Any info on a good Engine place would be gratefully received.....one last question how much do you think this would cost...ball park figure

cheers

Nigel

What ever happened to Raceco UK? Amedeo could certainly tear it apart and probably find a few more horsepower in there...