Brake lever

Guest J.R.

:homer: I had a great time last weekend installing the newly aquired set of bars from LSL.

To start from the beginning,I too needed to get the ergonomics on my beloved Lemans to where I can ride longer and not give in to the vibration gods or need a chiropractic adjustment after each long ride.

I had a local shop drill the top triple clamp to the prescibed diameter for the adatation of the Jackel top clamp and bars.After some tweaking,and cussing :o ,the bars are installed!Now comes the tricky part.I had to remove the hydraulic clutch line to get the clearance needed.I don't wish the bleeding of the hydro clutch on any one but my worst enemy.What a pain in the ass! :angry:

After that all was installed, I was ready for the first test ride. :lol:

Unfortunenately as I entered the tarmac in front of my house some :homer: decides to set a track record coming up my hill,and sent me into the curb.Not much more than my pride injured,AND MY BRAKE LEVER.

Sos I says,my local reliable MG dealer surely to god has got one on the shelf so I can ride today. :bike: What?Not even one showing in the USA? :( Get on the stick man, and get me a replacement. :angry:

A week goes by.

Today,shown bright like a crystal in moonlight,what a day to ride.But where is my brake lever?

I enter my local shop in hot anticipation.Not available ,I say shagrinned,$106.00 ,2 weeks maybe?

When a familiar voice from behind states "try looking at the Ducati 900SS"

Lo,and behold! An exact match, and for only $35.00.

Beautiful views from the Blue Ridge Parkway this evening.

The setting sun glissening off the new handle bars.Ergonomics will take some getting use to.All is well again in the world :thumbsup:

J.R.

Hi J.R.

And? How does it handle? Was it easy to install the LSL set, apart from the clutch line? Could you show some pictures please?

I actually did end up putting CRG levers on.They are a great upgrade. :D

My point to my ramblings has to do with MG charging $106.00 for a brake lever that Ducati has for only $35.00.Not only that, but to say they don't even have one availaible in the USA when they could have walked down to a Ducati shop and bought one themselves.Then to have the parts man show surprise,and embarrasment when I pointed out the rip off, and the lack of common sense to see they were the same.

I would definitely recommend a machinist to drill the triple clamp.As someone else pointed out,the aluminum is pretty pourous.The installation is straight forward.Mostly a bolt on application.There is a minor clearance problem with the fairing and the top of the brake and clutch holders.

I simply let it touch, and epoxied a piece of rubber to act as a bumper.

The bars and the fork adjuster cause a bit of a problem,but I let the bars in until they touch and then tighten the top clamp.I chose not to lower the fork tubes in the clamps, afraid to change the steering charactoristics.

You will have to bend the clutch hose end,unless you want to make a new set with a straight fitting. <_<

The fit of the bars and clamp look like a factory installation, and got many complements that the look like they needed to be there.

I estimate that the rrise a back is a total of about 2".

I thought I was riding a BMW GS compared to what I started out with.

Straight up highway riding,it is the best upgrade you can make.

I was leary of what was to happen when I got into some spirited riding on the twisties.

To my surprise,while decidedly less agressive,when you get into your cornering tuck, the differance doesn't seem that great.Go ahead, ask those two guys on the Ducati's I was able to chase down and pass. :mg:

The only change I might consider, is making new brake and clutch hoses to really get the set up sweet. :D

I'll post pictures as soon as I can borrow a camera.

J.R. :bike: