Pressure Gauge Adapted

Ryland3210

In this application, pressure & flow are not equivalent. The reason the higher viscosity fluid builds pressure faster is because less of it is going where its needed. Guzzis have never needed the heavyweight oils that the old Harleys did; in fact, there's a wonderful story about the correct oil from back in the days when Berliner was importing them. Of course, that was back in the days of straight wt. oils, which are getting hard to find these days. Yay for multi-viz! :thumbsup:

Pressure and flow are never "equivalent" in any application, any more than torque and RPM are equivalent-no argument there.

The pump in the Guzzi is a fixed displacement type, as I believe I mentioned earlier. Except for pump leakage (which should be less with higher viscosity in any case) flow rate will be independent of viscosity, so what is the basis for your comment that "less of it is going where it is needed."? At higher viscosity and constant flow rate, of course pressure will be higher simply because of Bernoulli's equation, unless the pressure relief valve were ideal, and would maintain constant pressure regardless of viscosity or flow rate. Clearly it isn't, and it increases the pressure supply with both flow and viscosity.

So, are you implying that a higher percentage of the flow is bypassed by the pressure relief valve? If that is your basis, are you still of the opinion that the bearings are not receiving adequate oil, even though the pressure of the oil delivered to them is higher?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pump in the Guzzi is a fixed displacement type, as I believe I mentioned earlier. Except for pump leakage (which should be less with higher viscosity in any case) flow rate will be independent of viscosity, so what is the basis for your comment that "less of it is going where it is needed."? At higher viscosity and constant flow rate, of course pressure will be higher simply because of Bernoulli's equation, unless the pressure relief valve were ideal, and would maintain constant pressure regardless of viscosity or flow rate. Clearly it isn't, and it increases the pressure supply with both flow and viscosity.

Good point! I forgot the Guzzi oil pump is positive displacement! :wacko: Ergo, the higher pressure from the higher viscosity would just mean you're blowing the o.p. relief valve sooner, but the oil is still circulating.

Forget I said anything! ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest V11RossoNigel
Here is the cockpit of my '03 Rosso Corsa. Where would the pressure gauge be mounted? B)

cockpit.jpg

Your clocks are like mine on the Naked, ie they rotate with the steering, but you have the fairing which does not move so I would be inclined to static mount somewhere down in the fairing, therefore not putting the oil line under constant sideways movement. As john states the small black oil line to the pressure gauge is rated to a huge psi, but my concern would be where the feed enters the union at the gauge end, that could potentialy be a weak point, if constant movement was occuring with steering, this could create fatigue. However this should not be a concern for your mounting.

I will post some pictures of my mount when I finish it....but I am not sure just when I will get the time in the next couple of months to fit it.

Cheers

Nige

. . . I will post some pictures of my mount when I finish it....but I am not sure just when I will get the time in the next couple of months to fit it.

Cheers

Nige

Thanks Nige. Looking forward to seeing your handy work.

The hose is also intended to deal with a reasonable amount of flexing.

The fittings supplied for both ends are not the ordinary type one finds at the plumbing or automotive supply stores. They are of a special design intended for high vibration hydraulic and pneumatic machinery applications. As long as the bend radius along the hose is not too tight, and it is not severely flexed at the fitting, it should be fine to mount it on the steering head. It might be possible to make up a simple sheet aluminium bracket to mount it to the control lever brackets.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with fairing mount, but the motion of the speedo, clutch, and electrical cables will still be moving relative to the fairing, so do consider that in routing the hose, and make sure it is long enough. There are many grades of nylon hose, the one supplied is rated for high pressure (which also gives it the vibration tolerance, and high temperature. Use only the hose supplied. If it is too short to go to where you want to mount the gauge, let me know.

Cheers,

John :thumbsup:

Have a look at this installation, Al:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=si&img=476

Here is the adapter fitting that replaces the banjo bolt. The original pressure switch is untouched.

PortAdapter.jpg

And the gauge mount for Cafe sports, Ballabio, etc.:

GaugeMount.jpg

Here's the profile view of the manifold adapter and mount for the gauge:

PgaugeProfile.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...