new v11 owner easy questions

dave_s

Well I've taken the plunge into v11 territory and had a few questions and thought this would be a great resource to get some answers.

A little background on the bike

2002 v11 sport scura

i am the third owner

first owner put 3,000 miles on the bike and by the sounds of it ,(second owner new first owner), maint was performed by dealer first owner had bike for 2 years

second owner put 800 miles on bike owned it for 3 years sounds like he had the oil changed once or maybe twice.

no manuals coming with the bike so i had the following questions

i was going to do the following before riding

change oil clean the screen install new gaskets ams syn 20/50 3.5 liters is this ok grade and correct amount?

gap the vlaves whats the proper settings? .10 mm intake and .15mm exhaust ?

check oil in rear add if needed.. or should i change?

change air filter if it looks dirty. maybe just change if im going to bother getting in there.

check brake fluids.

ride it

is there anything else i really should be doing to it????

does the bike have u joints to grease???

is there anyplace on line with a owners or service manual?

and last is there any good place to find a owners manual for thsi bike just because i would really like to have one.

I know these are really simple questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the funhouse,..er ah forum. :bier: You've come to the right place and will be blown away by the knowledge and kindness you will find here. :wub:

The search engine is great ,so for say the u-joint question just type it in and you will get a lot of results.

Your right on all accounts of what should be checked upon getting the bike,there are many differences of opinions on many subjects here and valve clearances are one of them.10 and 15 are common values used .If the bike is running well I would do what you have suggested.If not balancing the Throttle Bodies and setting the throttle position sensor would be the next step on tuning.Just a few basic tools and you will be able to do it yourself,much information in the technical section on these procedures.i did it recently for the first time myself and it was relatively easy.I'm hoping to write an article on the experience in the near future.

Also the forum is free,but must be a lot of work to design and maintain for our administrator Jaap,and donations are excepted via PayPal.He never solicits donations himself so I'll sing his praises for him.whatever we donate you get at least 100x return on your dollar in information.

Michael :mg:

PS Dave,

I ,and the former owner of my Scura ,failed to mention the single plate clutch of our bike has been known to fail(flywheel) with very ugly and potentally dangerous results. :!: Many who know more than me suggest replacing it.Apparrently not impossible to do at home but requires removing engine.Welcome to the world of Guzzi! :rasta:

Yeah, the single plate clutch is the biggest unknown with the Scura. No guarantee that it will grenade, but it is a documented correlation.

Guzzi's make a lot of noises, so don't be overly concerned with them. Do check the items you listened- sounds like nice preventative maintenance even if they are not necessary (I can't tell if they are or not based on your mileage).

PS Dave I would also dump shaft/tranny fluid,Red Line shockproof is highly recommened on the site. :oldgit:

Guest Mattress

If you don't want to torch your ink cartridge printing all the manual pages out to haul to the shed, because you don't have a lap top to stare at tiny fonts, Moto International in Seattle is where I bought my paper copy. Pick up Guzziology and ask to have it signed by author. Hopefully think of clever thing for him to write instead of "Good Luck". I'm not quick on the spot.

That said, my copy of the service manual was inexpensive but seemed like a photocopy or less then stellar printing process. Wait, maybe its appropriate for M.G.