Ohlins Front Forks

Richard

As I've been at sea, the V11 has been sat idle for a while. When I came to ride it the other day, there was a pool of fork oil in the rim of the front wheel and both stanchions were coated in fork oil, as though both the oil seals have gone. I'm not discounting the idea that they have both gone, but it would seem unlikely that they would both go at the same time, especially given the forks were rebuilt during the last service, 4000 miles ago. Has anyone had a similar problem/can anyone shed any light on this?

Ohlins go thru seals v quick. I'm on 4th set at 19k miles. "improved" seals don't do better mileage IME.

Ohlins are designed for track not miles. Forks have v low stiction. Low seal life is part of the price.

Was bike left on sidestand or centre/shop stand?

KB :sun:

Ohlins go thru seals v quick. I'm on 4th set at 19k miles. "improved" seals don't do better mileage IME.

Ohlins are designed for track not miles. Forks have v low stiction. Low seal life is part of the price.

Was bike left on sidestand or centre/shop stand?

It was left on the sidestand. Looks like I'll have to get them re-sealed! :(

It was left on the sidestand. ...

Martin Barrett suggested leaving it on sidestand could cause seals to take on a set, which seems possible. I now leave bike on shopstand. I also noticed leak after period of sitting unused. Maybe use keeps em lubed, non use leaves em dry out - affects seal? Not sure that it's wear that causes the problem.

Just an idea for all Ohlinisti: The Ohlins manual recommends greasing the sliders with a special Ohlins moly grease periodically.

I have been doing this on mine for 11,000 miles, using Redline assembly lube. No leaks yet, despite a scratched left tube. The grease may or may not be the reason for the lack of leaks, but I thought I would share the thought.

I've been a naughty boy and have not ever had my Ohlins forks serviced despite the bike having covered about 18000 miles :whistle:

I've been lucky as the seals have stayed oiltight, and the forks still work as well as they did when the bike was new.

Guy :helmet:

well.... I clean stanchions & grease w Ohlins grease pretty much everytime I take it out, it doesn't see rain, there's not much dust about here... & have RSVR guard! Still managed to get thru 3 sets of seals in 17,500 miles. I wonder if it's to do with set up (oil volume, damping), type of use or amount of time left standing?

Well... I am not much of a cleaner, have the standard scura fender and never lubricate anything, sometimes have lotts of dust around and back in Holland lots of rain and all is still good. Let's hope this is going to stay this way as it is currentely getting the fluids replaced!

:2c:

Ciao

jasper

Just an idea for all Ohlinisti: The Ohlins manual recommends greasing the sliders with a special Ohlins moly grease periodically.

I have been doing this on mine for 11,000 miles, using Redline assembly lube. No leaks yet, despite a scratched left tube. The grease may or may not be the reason for the lack of leaks, but I thought I would share the thought.

I have also read Ohlins' recommendation about greasing the sliders. However I suspect that this would just attract dirt and cut out the seals faster, so I haven't done this. Forks still showing no sign of leakage with original seals at 30,000 km. (One oil change at 20,000 km.)

Cheers,

Jim.

Well... I am not much of a cleaner, have the standard scura fender and never lubricate anything, sometimes have lotts of dust around and back in Holland lots of rain and all is still good. Let's hope this is going to stay this way as it is currentely getting the fluids replaced!

jasper

your seals were new when you got the bike, when I got it one side was leaking a little, so I let ohlins replace the seals.

approaching 12k miles on my Nero Corsa and the fork seals are still sealing...

I let my Sport 1100 sit for a few months last year and its seals started weeping...

I do wonder if sitting causes them to go away quicker ??? Hmmm...