dipstick 2004 v11

v11cafe

HELPPPP....

I read in another topic in the forum that the marks of 2004 v11 cafe sport dipstick are wrong.

Truth is that the manual says 3.5 lt in oil changes, but the max mark on the dipstick is reached with 3 lt in the sump.

I always guessed that the oil radiator keeps some oil, plus the oil filter, so I assumed that the dipstick is right.

Tha oil light never comes up, except once in a very rainy day, where I stopped to check the oil level, it was ok, and the light went off when I restarted the engine.

If somebody knows, something......LET ME KNOW, because the last thing I want , is to ride my Guzzi with 1/2 lt less in my sump.. if this is truth.

HELPPPP....

I read in another topic in the forum that the marks of 2004 v11 cafe sport dipstick are wrong.

Truth is that the manual says 3.5 lt in oil changes, but the max mark on the dipstick is reached with 3 lt in the sump.

I always guessed that the oil radiator keeps some oil, plus the oil filter, so I assumed that the dipstick is right.

Tha oil light never comes up, except once in a very rainy day, where I stopped to check the oil level, it was ok, and the light went off when I restarted the engine.

If somebody knows, something......LET ME KNOW, because the last thing I want , is to ride my Guzzi with 1/2 lt less in my sump.. if this is truth.

There is always oil left in the filter, cooler etc so 3lt will be about right, as you say another thread is currently discussing the oil level / dipstick marks and I'm sure others will advise best practice here( I think the safest without a Roper Sheet installed is to not let the oil get anywhere near the low mark but keep it at the high level)

There is always oil left in the filter, cooler etc so 3lt will be about right, as you say another thread is currently discussing the oil level / dipstick marks and I'm sure others will advise best practice here( I think the safest without a Roper Sheet installed is to not let the oil get anywhere near the low mark but keep it at the high level)

On my '04 Cafe Sport, if a new filter is installed and 3.5 liters added, the level on the dipstick when it is screwed in is 0.69 inches higher than the full mark. At that level, the oil is still 0.23 inches below the sump gasket.

I personally fill with 4 US quarts. That still is lower than the gasket. I also adapted a pressure gauge. Under full acceleration in first gear, pressure drops when I reach about 3-4,000 RPM. Pressures does not drop in 2nd or 3rd gear. Therefore, I have no doubt that the pump is starving in first, and will install a Roper plate. Until I do, no more hard accelerations in first.

On my '04 Cafe Sport, if a new filter is installed and 3.5 liters added, the level on the dipstick when it is screwed in is 0.69 inches higher than the full mark. At that level, the oil is still 0.23 inches below the sump gasket.

I personally fill with 4 US quarts. That still is lower than the gasket. I also adapted a pressure gauge. Under full acceleration in first gear, pressure drops when I reach about 3-4,000 RPM. Pressures does not drop in 2nd or 3rd gear. Therefore, I have no doubt that the pump is starving in first, and will install a Roper plate. Until I do, no more hard accelerations in first.

I read the other thread about "Roper plates and oil level", and while many things are right in theory and maybe there is some practical improvement, in oil circulation/starvation, I don"t feel that I am enough expert to say that Moto Guzzi is wrong in such an elementary factor of the design of V 90 engine.

Anyway redlining repeatedly a Guzzi in 1st gear , or wheelies longer than 1 minute, make bad to your...pocket.

I cannot prove it , but I don"t feel Guzzi can be so wrong with the dipstick marks....

Maybe the the right thing would have been to notify the Moto Guzzi PR department about the thread with oil level issue, and wait for a satisfactory answer.

Hope they give one.......

I read the other thread about "Roper plates and oil level", and while many things are right in theory and maybe there is some practical improvement, in oil circulation/starvation, I don"t feel that I am enough expert to say that Moto Guzzi is wrong in such an elementary factor of the design of V 90 engine.

Anyway redlining repeatedly a Guzzi in 1st gear , or wheelies longer than 1 minute, make bad to your...pocket.

I cannot prove it , but I don"t feel Guzzi can be so wrong with the dipstick marks....

Maybe the the right thing would have been to notify the Moto Guzzi PR department about the thread with oil level issue, and wait for a satisfactory answer.

Hope they give one.......

If Moto Guzzi intended the 3.5 liters to be the amount of oil to put in the bike after draining oil and changing the filter, AND if they intended the dipstick to be carefully held at a 45 degree angle while resting it on the threads instead of screwing it in, THEN the full mark is close to the 3.5 liter capacity. However, my manual says it should be measured with it screwed in.

My conclusions were based on careful measurements and considerable theoretical and practical knowledge of engines.

Several other members with considerably more experience working on Moto Guzzi's have agreed that the dipstick marks are too low when screwed all the way in. I am not aware of any that disagree. If you trust MG's manual writers to be infallable, then my advice is to keep the oil up to the max mark and avoid fast accelerations. :huh2:

If Moto Guzzi intended the 3.5 liters to be the amount of oil to put in the bike after draining oil and changing the filter, AND if they intended the dipstick to be carefully held at a 45 degree angle while resting it on the threads instead of screwing it in, THEN the full mark is close to the 3.5 liter capacity. However, my manual says it should be measured with it screwed in.

My conclusions were based on careful measurements and considerable theoretical and practical knowledge of engines.

Several other members with considerably more experience working on Moto Guzzi's have agreed that the dipstick marks are too low when screwed all the way in. I am not aware of any that disagree. If you trust MG's manual writers to be infallable, then my advice is to keep the oil up to the max mark and avoid fast accelerations. :huh2:

Maybe you are right...and I run a little low on oil..... maybe they are....and you overfill your sump.

Anyway, the Cafe stays with me for at least the next ten years, so we"ll see.

I'II try to contact Moto Guzzi on that matter,....if I have news I will post it.

Thanks