Oil Leak

VR6Dave

Guest ratchethack

Dave, IIRC, there's been at least one report of this before. This would appear to be a tiny void in the weld, enough to allow a seep of oil from the condensor inside the spine. Nothing to do with overfilling and not serious by any interpretation of that word! I'd wipe it off occasionally and never give it another thought.

Think of it this way -- if it gets into the subframe joint -- well! It's self-lubricated. It'll NEVER rust! :lol:

Dave, IIRC, there's been at least one report of this before. This would appear to be a tiny void in the weld, enough to allow a seep of oil from the condensor inside the spine. Nothing to do with overfilling and not serious by any interpretation of that word! I'd wipe it off occasionally and never give it another thought.

Think of it this way -- if it gets into the subframe joint -- well! It's self-lubricated. It'll NEVER rust! :lol:

Ratchet, that was my bike that had this same leak/seap. I pulled the bolt and coated the threads with blue locktite and re-inserted the bolt. So far no more leak! Yeah. Easy fix!

d

• 1 month later...

The oil level reads a bit high on the dip stick but is well below the Roper plate. I removed the bolt, cleaned it and the hole, loctited it and retorqued it. When I got back from my 1300 mile roundtrip to Barber's Vintage Motorcycle Races there was no sign of a leak. Now if I could only get that darn odometer working. :huh:

Dave