Rear shock identification

lavrgs

I'm brand new to Moto Guzzi - I bought a 2002 Lemans about a week ago. I've been reading alot of the threads on suspension setup and yesterday I went to check the settings on my bike. My question comes about because when I counted the clicks on the remote reservoir, of the rear shock, it was 30, and according to the manual should be 12 or 20 (as I recall) depending on the shock that was installed.Is this just evidence that Moto Guzzi probably fits into the typical Italain manufacturer that would just install what was in the parts bin or perhaps has the shock been replaced? The main distinctive feature include a blue knob on the remote reservoir and a white spring

Welcome Lavrgs! You have the stock Sachs-Boge shock. According to my shop manual it has 2 damping adjusters, one on the reservoir for compression and one above the lower shock eye for rebound. The manual says it should have 43 clicks available from completely closed for compression and 34 available for rebound. It also says the factory settings are rebound = 20 clicks, compression = 10, spring preload = 13mm. I don't know if those numbers refer to clicks from completely closed or completely open. :huh2: I believe clicks from closed is the norm but you never know with Guzzi :D

My bike came with an Ohlins shock on it so I'm afraid I can't help you with any setup tips. I'm sure a search will turn up some tuning info for you if no one else chimes in.