Titanium pushrods

Guest John T

jrt,

When I get the rocker brngs. in this weekend, I'll post info. on GuzziTech as I mentioned... I'll also let you know where to get the bearings (I'll most likely try to source them for sale on the Tech page as well).

1. Can't really personally comment.

2. I'd agree, and no data so far, but I'll be reporting.

More soon,

Todd

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be great Todd. I'd be happy to buy parts from within the community, so if you do source them, let me know. :mg: I haven't been working very hard on it because school is coming up and that'll keep me pretty busy for awhile. I'll keep my eyes on Guzzitech.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest John T

Just installed the Titanium pushrods from Mike Rich.:luigi:

Since the rockers had to come off, I torqued the heads (slightly loose)

slipped in the pushers and adjusted to .002 thou. Intake. .003 exhaust

(regular cams are .002/.004.)

Started the bike and it sounded like a "Valvole Idraluliche" motor! :D

No ticking! :bier: (just what I wanted)

Will find out if it gets any noisier when she warms up.

Total weight savings: 32 grams total. (1.1 ounces)

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. Here is a report on the Titanium rods.

Put them in, set the clearences and checked them, very quiet.

Went for a ride with the "boys" and as the engine started warming up I began to hear the valves more and more! What a racket :unsure:

Sounded like an old loop frame Guzzi on steroids and sorta like a hot rodded Plymouth slant six! :blink:

After the ride I checked the clearances, WAY off! :huh2:

Cranked them down to spec again and rode.

As it wramed up same thing, got very clattery, but not as bad.

One more check and they are off. Cranked them down to a real tight .002 and .003 and rode again with the boys. This time I heard the valves but reasonable. The sound is different than the stock rods, more of a higher pitch and smaller.

Bike runs like a raped ape! I hit the rev limiter at least 4 times on that ride and was surprised I kept doing it! Maybe the sound change threw me off.

So, did the Ti rods shrink when heated? Not sure but this one got me.

Guzzi valve clearances are supposed to be done cold. If the ticking of the egine is annoying you you don't have enough intake or exhaust noise or you are spending too much time at idle. :P

...correct, I don't know if this was adhered to, but the engine must be *stone cold* ... i.e. having sat overnight. If not, the clearances would be off and inconsistent.

al

Cold??????

You mean I've been burning my fingers for years and I didn't have to??? ;)

(yes, I do them stone cold)

Mike Rich said it is normal as the jugs expand when heated and the rods don't, hence the very small COLD clearance.

Just checked them tonight, just right.

I guess with the different cam, I'm gonna have more noise.

• 2 months later...

So.... a month later, how's the "long term" report on the Ti pushrods from Mike Rich?

1) Working out OK? No problems or gotchas?

2) Was it "worth it"? Any noticeable difference long term?

Just checking as I'll be ordering my various bits from Mike in the coming weeks prior to my case swap in January(hey, time flies and it'll be here before I know it! ^_^ ) ... and wanted to check on your experience with the rods first.

thx!

al

Guest captain nemo

Is anyone here besides me and dlaing running valve clearances at 15 intake and 20 exhaust? These were definitely set on a very cold engine. It seems extreme, but the Guzz really runs hard - especially in midrange. Could this be harmful to valves?

So.... a month later, how's the "long term" report on the Ti pushrods from Mike Rich?

Well, I'll tell you, the rev limiter has been getting a workout on my last few rides.

The motor must be loosening up from the re-build, I think it revs alot more freely. :thumbsup:

I basically have been setting the valves by ear, and the more people I talk to about it, this is the way to do it.

At the usual 2 and 3 thou. clearance, the bike sounded like an old loopframe on steroids! What a racket. It got pretty good at a tight 2 thou each. I'm going to try basically nil on the intake and tight 2 thou on the exhaust.

The season is quickly winding down here, just great weather this Fall. Did more cruising with the wife on the EV and a little less hot-rodding.

Worth it? sure why not! You only live once! :bier:

So here is a question for the group....what should the HOT valve clearances be?

Captain,

Don't worry about running 0.15 / 0.20 mm clearances. I currently run the Euro spec of 0.10 / 0.15 mm (0.04 / 0.06 thou) but am thinking of trying 0.15 / 0.20 next time....(if I ever get out of vapourlockville that is)

John T,

I tried to measure the hot clearances for you, but couldn't see through the hot oil mist with the engine running... (good question though)

Gio

So here is a question for the group....what should the HOT valve clearances be?

I seem to remember someone on the Oz list saying that they measured them with the engine hot because it more accurately indicated the clearance approaching zero. They set the valves to something pretty tight, like .002'' or .05mm.

Steel, Aluminum and Titanium all behave differently.

I was under the impression that clearances get tighter when hot with Aluminum and not so much with chromoly steel.

Does anyone know for sure?

• 8 months later...