Oh yes: Torques, and

tmcafe

Sorry I missed these questions :D

1. What nuts and bolts need to be checked/retorqued? For instance, I know that in some cases, the bike manufacturers have a specific list of nuts and bolts, just not all of them! Sure, some critical ones come to mind: brake calipers, wheels, engine & frame, etc. But that's way too general. Is this the Italian way, vs. Japan and das Vaterland?

1. What nuts and bolts need to be checked/retorqued? For instance, I know that in some cases, the bike manufacturers have a specific list of nuts and bolts, just not all of them! Sure, some critical ones come to mind: brake calipers, wheels, engine & frame, etc. But that's way too general. Is this the Italian way, vs. Japan and das Vaterland?

1. Your general list is good enough.

2. Look to the shop manual. It's section on fork adjustment is opposite of reality, however. The adjustment on top of the forks is for rebound damping.

3. Do you have the shop manual supplement for the Ballabio/Cafe Sport? It has instructions.

Thanks Greg!

Hmm... some of those nuts and bolts on the general list of torques are pretty damn hard to get to...

The shop manual I got from Dave is the general V11 Sport one. I didn't get the Ballabio/Cafe Sport supplement. The bike came with a very thin supplementary booklet on Ballabio and Cafe Sport. It only talks about adjusting the

I didn't get any supplement about the Ohlins, but you'll find info here. Do a search and you'll find threads about dismantling and adjusting the Ohlins and links to manuals. The Ohlins website has manuals that can be downloaded as far as i remember. Yes, use the Ohlins fork oil.

Thanks belfastguzzi. I'm sure I'll find good info here and even the

I would not advise deviating from factory torque specs for engine parts, unless it's an egregious error in the manual. I have no idea what the range of error is for torque wrenches, but probably Thanks Kevin. On my 650 Dakar, which may be the smoothest single, but still a single, so somewhat vibey, I torque critical things and make marks, so I can see if they're starting to move. I have a bunch of torque wrenches that I bought on ebay--all inexpensive but very accurate (professional; most are beam, one is dial with electronic reading). Your Snap-on must be better than 10% accuracy, probably around 5% above 20% of range.

Setting the valves is a VERY important thing to do regularly and accurately, however. I think I could set valves in the dark, half asleep. :rolleyes:
Not there yet, but trying to catch up :D