Centauro Controls

Guest russ

Well, I finally scored a set :bike: I have been using the Eviluzione relo kit with modest success but finally found a set of controls from a Centauro at a price I'm embarrassed to tell. I reviewed the pics from Ian's? bike on the site and cannot wait to get these on.

Has anyone else done this mod? What are the benefits and difficulties during installation?

On a separate subject, the Handlebar vibes relly suck and have not improved. Short of drilling the top plate and putting on Superbike bars (a possibility if I cannot get this under control), has anyone heard of "Plumbers Wool". I've been told that this is the "cappo de tutti" to soak up vibes.

:mg::grin:

There are a fair number of Centauro footpeg conversions running about. All seem to work well.

Plumbers Wool is lead wool, just like steel wool. While entirely suitable for cramming into gaps in radiation shielding etc., I doubt that it's use is appropriate where there is vibration. It will break down into lead particles or dust and become extremely toxic or fatal if inhaled. The EPA has probably legislated it out of existence anyway. You might want to consider some of the gel like is used in seats or computer wrist pads. This stuff is incredibly dense and malleable. It might be just the ticket.

Drilling the top plate and adding super bike bars will not in itself totally eliminate the vibes.The rubber mounting that goes with the prcedure only helps to a mild degree.I have them installed on my Lemans and really like the position,but the vibes are still there.I haven't installed any bar end weights yet,and I wonder myself if that will make a significant differance or not.

I tend to think(maybe my own imagination) that when I opened the valve clearances to Euro specs,the vibes changed in frequency and rpm range.I like the added toque so much,I won't go back just for a little vibe.I hope newer models address this issue.I think I could have sold a few myself to those that rode mine and loved the handling,looks,and power,but were put off slightly by the handle bar vibes.

J.R.

Guest jeremy

ok, to those of you that are going to centauro controls, I'd like your v11 controls (I have a centauro). I have allready installed the clipons from a v11 and think the controls would compliment them nicely

thanks

:bier:

Guest dkgross

there's photos of my Centauro foot controls on my website...You'd have to check with the talented Jason at Moto I about install details, though.

I was after some Centuaro controls too,until I had Rich Maund do up a seat for me.The differance is unbelivable as to the change in seat to peg height.It mat be only an inch,or so (Rich you might want to chime in here) but it made worlds of differance.I'm 5'10"(on a proud day) with 30" inseam.Taller riders feel very cramped.

I'm not after a touring stance with my Lemans either,just a little less prone.In the mountain twisties,which is 95% of my riding,I want a slight aggressive stance.I don't have real long arms,so setting the bars back was the better solution.

J.R.

As I think I said in the website text, installation of the Centauro pegs and foot levers is very straightforward, with the exception of that shifter bracket that needs to be made. I would have no problem doing it myself, but as long as Moto International was including the work in the cost of the bike... :)

I just finished the Install of the Centauro Controls tonight.....well almost. I need to replace a bolt on the shifter side; it had a thread locker on it and I nerfed it getting it out. Very easy swap and the bracket needed for the shifter is very straightforward. Just a test sit on the bike let's me know that this should have been the way they did it from the beginning (at least for me). Very comfy. I'm 6-2 and a 32 in inseam. Now the bike will be perfect. :bier::bike::mg::luigi::rasta::drink:

Update: Took the first ride today. It is now perfect :sun:

Woot! :bier: Good to hear, Russ. Glad you got your bike set up better -- Centauro controls helped me a lot too. My knees would be in constant pain with the stock controls. I think these bikes just weren't engineered for gangly Americans. :P I'm 6'1", with a 34" inseam, btw.

I agree Ian. I'm 6'2 w/a 32 inseam and they help alot. The shifter feel is a little less precise than stock though. Not un bearable, just less feel. I might try and adjust it somewhat this weekend. :luigi:

• 8 months later...
there's photos of my Centauro foot controls on my website...You'd have to check with the talented Jason at Moto I about install details, though.

Since people were chatting about the Evoluzione kit in the other thread, and Centauro controls were mentioned.... I went looking for some good photos of them installed on the LeMans.... but was unsuccessful.

Dave, it looks like both of your albums with LeMans photos are broken??

Do you(or anyone else) have some good photos of the controls installed, from both sides? I think that would be very helpful for people.

Thanks!

al

Guest JohnInNH

Photos + a parts list, and instructions.. Post that in the HOW TO section.

I am going to try the $15 cheep "fix" first .. If that makes it manageable fine, but If I still am cramped then the Centauro Controls are my next step.

Now if I can get my bike outta the shop. 3 weeks ! :huh: Told me a week, 2 at the most. Waiting to here "It's not ready THIS come back NEXT week!

Guest dkgross

oh yeah..sorry..I haven't had a chance to do anything to my website lately..took down the pictures with the old pipes and airfoil thing.

I'll post some photos when I get home tonight.

I think it's a lot more work than the other kit tho...

• 1 year later...

Well, I've already got the Buell peg conversion, but was never quite happy with how far "out" they moved my feet from the already wide riding position.

So I've sourced a set of Centauro controls and am going to give them a try as well.

I'll let everyone know which I end up preferring.

Al

P.S.

See Ian's website for details on the slight modification required:

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/guzzi/ergos/

Well, I've already got the Buell peg conversion, but was never quite happy with how far "out" they moved my feet from the already wide riding position.

So I've sourced a set of Centauro controls and am going to give them a try as well.

I'll let everyone know which I end up preferring.

Al

P.S.

See Ian's website for details on the slight modification required:

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/guzzi/ergos/

74565[/snapback]

Hi Al,

How do the Buell conversions differ from the Centauro, in terms of position?

I am very interested in trading pegs with someone with a desire for Cafe Sport pegs. My bike is an '04, and brand new (68 miles).

John