Grease Excess on U-Joint

tmcafe

The other day I greased the U-Joint (only the two points toward the rear; I could touch and see the forward third one in the mirror, but I'll need a hose/45˚ fitting to get to it). I used GreenGrease in a small cartridge. I kept pumping the gun until I saw the green grease driving out whatever was left from the factory brownish grease. The green grease kept leaking slowly through the narrow openings. I wiped off some, than wrapped the U-joint cover with duct tape (a tip from Tracy Martin) to prevent the grease from flinging off. When I got home later after I rode the bike several times during the day, I removed the tape, but the grease seems to still keep oozing a little. I don't mind this if it's normal, but I wonder if I pumped too much grease, or if the grease should leak like it does. Maybe it was only my impression, but it seem to have leaked a little bit even further down about midway where the two portions of the shaft are joint--where the two yellow lines align. Comments appreciated. :bier:

I would say you pumped in too much grease. I do mine every time I have my wheel off for a tyre change. I only give it a couple of pumps, just enough to hear the grease oozing. The front one greases the splines as well as filling the cavity that allows the inner and outer drive shafts to slide without bottoming out. As your rear wheel raises and lowers the excess grease is pumped out along the driveshaft. It will eventually expel what isn't needed.

Rob

Usually only about 1/2 to 1 pump is necessary with a full size grease gun. Just listen for the grease crackling as it goes past the seals on the u-joint, then stop. Be sure to wipe off the zirk fitting before you pump in the grease, otherwise the dirt goes in. I seldom have any grease sling.

Any recommendations on grease type, or ID on what is in there from the factory?

Thanks for the replies. Good info. I'll probably also wait until I put a new rear tire. I guess I may have put too much grease trying to drive out the old one. I'd be curious if anybody has used GreenGrease. I called and checked for moly (I was told it doesn't have any). Also it's lithium-based yet synthetic. It's been around for a while, used for heavy-duty, high-pressure applications, though not for retail. Can be found at Autozone.