Battery Charging Help

JackBoots

As a new V11 Lemans owner it just occurred to me that the battery in my 2002 must be gel correct?

That leads me to the next thought. My BMW K1200GT has a gel battery and I had to buy a gel battery charger from BMW as they claim it to be in some way different.

My Lemans has been sitting in the garage for the past few weeks with a battery tender hooked up to the battery.

Have I just killed my V11 battery or is that OK??

Please advise! Thanks

As a new V11 Lemans owner it just occurred to me that the battery in my 2002 must be gel correct?

That leads me to the next thought. My BMW K1200GT has a gel battery and I had to buy a gel battery charger from BMW as they claim it to be in some way different.

My Lemans has been sitting in the garage for the past few weeks with a battery tender hooked up to the battery.

Have I just killed my V11 battery or is that OK??

Please advise! Thanks

In short, that is OK. Follow this link to a very recent thread that has a link to an older thread that is excellent ^_^ .

I have one of this. It works just fine. In almost 4 years never have had any problem with it.

If that's the CTEK 3600 I'll second that. Best battery charger/tender I've had. I use the one unit with additional fly leads purchased from Hein Gericke permanently attached to 3 bikes and shift it around every couple of weeks during the winter.

GJ

In short, that is OK. Follow this link to a very recent thread that has a link to an older thread that is excellent ^_^ .

Ok well that's good.

I am using a charger that is called the Deltran battery tender It's nice because it's a 4 bank charger.

Is the battery that came with my 2002 a GEL?

Deltran sells one charger for the standard and sealed maintenance free batteries and another one for the GEL batteries.

I guess this is where my concern is.

Ok well that's good.

I am using a charger that is called the Deltran battery tender It's nice because it's a 4 bank charger.

Is the battery that came with my 2002 a GEL?

Deltran sells one charger for the standard and sealed maintenance free batteries and another one for the GEL batteries.

I guess this is where my concern is.

If the battery is labled Spark500, ytx15L-bs, ytx9-bs or Hawker Odyssey PC 545, it is a VRLA AGM battery (valve regulated lead-acid battery with Absorbed Glass Mat)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorbed_Glass_Mat

Regarding the Deltran charger, you might be interested in the information in this thread

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

If that's the CTEK 3600 I'll second that. Best battery charger/tender I've had. I use the one unit with additional fly leads purchased from Hein Gericke permanently attached to 3 bikes and shift it around every couple of weeks during the winter.

GJ

I've got one too and I've been very happy with it despite I thought it wasn't really the utlimate one for this battery. Now I just read through its instructions as well as some Hawker stuff around the 'net and it turns out the CTEK actually is perfect for the application. What I did not know is you should use it in the * snowflake mode for AGM batteries, for best results. I have used it in 'motorcycle' mode before.

Regarding the Deltran/Hawker conflict it smells like a vendetta not anchored in tehnical reasons. Deltran is probably fine too. The CTEK is dirt cheap though, if you're paranoid and want to switch.

What I did not know is you should use it in the * snowflake mode for AGM batteries, for best results. I have used it in 'motorcycle' mode before.

Ha! me as well - I did the usual, 'rip it all out of the box and read the instructions later', thing and used the M/C setting a couple of times before realising my error.

I guess the AGMs need the * snowflake setting because they require deep charging before going into 'tender' mode.

GJ

Ha! me as well - I did the usual, 'rip it all out of the box and read the instructions later', thing and used the M/C setting a couple of times before realising my error.

I guess the AGMs need the * snowflake setting because they require deep charging before going into 'tender' mode.

GJ

Apparently the * setting sets the charging level/threshold to 14.7V instead of 14.4V. I added a link to the instructions in my post above. It even mentions Odysseys specifically!

Apparently the * setting sets the charging level/threshold to 14.7V instead of 14.4V. I added a link to the instructions in my post above. It even mentions Odysseys specifically!

You're comming close to the point now. As I've understood the docs that came with my Hawker also this tiny little electronic wonder shown on one of the pix above will in no way be able to treat a Hawker right. The correct way to charge a partially empty Hawker was to do this really fast, with really high current, and then leave it alone. 0.6 or 1Amp is not what I'm talking off. Give her 5, 15, 40 - there is no limit set for charging current - and that's it. Everything else is just shortening its expectable lifetime. If you don't have such an expensive professional automatic charging device, then use a cheap 10A automotive unit and watch the voltage. Stand beside your expensive Hawker and watch the voltage while you charge it! As soon as the voltage goes over 14,7 it's fully charged and can be stored in a cool, dry and dark place for at least one year without risking any damage for it.

The original OEM version that came with my V11 was good for 6 years. Only the last year it needed recharging sometimes, because of a long life, a bad starter and a cracked housing with a remarkable loss of acid/water.

Hubert