Surprise Hardware in Oil Pan

bridgepress

Guest ratchethack
So do you see any problem with simply using Schnorr washers? I have had good luck with them, a lot quicker procedure and you don't have to deal with the friction all the way out when removing.

No problem a-tall unless they're in an application that gets cycled repeatedly for maintenance, in which case the "bite" of the serrations and the "spring" of the conical shape becomes progressively worn down and less effective with each cycle.

Now this is just me, but as a matter of practice, I use threadlocker on every Schnoor washered bolt anyway. :thumbsup:

I've never heard anyone else mention this, but by my experience, threadlocker greatly reduces dissimilar metal galvanic response (electrolysis). I've taken many a steel bolt out of an aluminum case along with the case threads <_< , but I've never had it happen when I've used threadlocker -- nor have I ever seen a trace of corrosion when threadlocker has been properly applied. ;)

And looky here -- the prices have gone up a walloping .15 on Schnoor washers since I last checked! :o

from http://www.mgcycle.com/hardware.html

Schnoor washer, 8mm, hardened lock washer, various applications 0.50

Figures. Oil went over $100/barrell USD today. . . <_<

No problem a-tall unless they're in an application that gets cycled repeatedly for maintenance, in which case the "bite" of the serrations on the Schnoor washers becomes progressively less effective with each cycle.

Now this is just me, but as a matter of practice, I use threadlocker on every Schnoor washered bolt anyway. :thumbsup:

And looky here -- the prices have gone up a walloping .15 a copy since I last checked! :o

from http://www.mgcycle.com/hardware.html

Schnoor washer, 8mm, hardened lock washer, various applications 0.50

Figures. Oil went over $100/barrell USD today. . . <_>

Good points on multiple uses, although the softer mating surfaces are more likely to yield than the stainless Schnorr washers, whose teeth are designed to stay sharp and Belleville spring feature elastic. I bought the washers in bulk from the manufacturer. It has to be in the thousands to reach reasonable prices around 8 cents each. I saved time having to make only one order, and now have probably a lifetime supply. It's in the category of what I call "cheap insurance". ;)