lubrication of the shaft with drive couplings

Guest frankdugo

Guest frankdugo

ok-the title comes strait from the service manual.i have been trying for 3 yr.and have been un succesful.-----any tips? stan the man in gainsville says cant be done without rear wheel removal-yea or nea?

ok-the title comes strait from the service manual.i have been trying for 3 yr.and have been un succesful.-----any tips? stan the man in gainsville says cant be done without rear wheel removal-yea or nea?

Number 1 tip, do not give up. You may end up really really regretting that.

Do you mean the frontmost one very hard to get at, and you did the other two? My bike is a bit different but I'm pretty sure it is possible on any V11 without removing the wheel. Maybe you should get another nozzle for you grease gun. Failing that, removing the wheel is actually no drama.

Guest frankdugo

yes ido mean the foward.the shaft&rearhave been doneonce a year.;last time the wheel was off-i forgot!i just can not figure how to do it with the wheel on.you are right the wheel is coming off.are the cut-outs on the housing protector differant sizes?i suppect that when the recall was done the mechanic put it back in the wrong position. 00v11s

yes ido mean the foward.the shaft&rearhave been doneonce a year.;last time the wheel was off-i forgot!i just can not figure how to do it with the wheel on.you are right the wheel is coming off.are the cut-outs on the housing protector differant sizes?i suppect that when the recall was done the mechanic put it back in the wrong position. 00v11s

By unbolting the driveshaft from the final drive and then rotating it until the grease point is facing upwards, with the shaft hanging as low as the swingarm will allow its possible to thread a flexable grease gun hose up the tunnel and with patience guide it into place with your fingertips.

Getting it off again is worse !! :D

It may be possible with the wheel on but having the wheel off gives more room to move and as the weight needs to be off the rear suspension anyway (to get the swingarm low enough) by the time you've got the rear in the air its only one more bolt to get the wheel out and you can remove the final drive and rear half of the driveshaft by removing the centre grease point (to release the suction) and sliding it off the spline(which saves you the job of unbolting it).

Sounds complicated but its quite quick once your used to it. :D

................................ you can remove the final drive and rear half of the driveshaft by removing the centre grease point (to release the suction) ................................

Very good point! :thumbsup:

Took me a while to figure this one out!! :luigi:

Guest frankdugo

thanks pasos-brian.did not know about the center zirc! bikes up wheels off.going back to the coal mine to try again.are one of the cutout on the outer protector bigger than the other two?are the newer bikes any different?what do you think of grinding out one of the holes to bigger diameter?short of removing the engine-trans,or takeing the whole rear end off can not even see how to unbolt that protector.there must be a better way.maby a training viedo? can't belive the boys would do this to us.