Drive Shaft housing

The Foggster

:nerd: Happy New Year to one and all. I have a couple of weeks off in feb so I am looking at polishing a few pieces on the V11. I want to take off the shft drive housing that attaches onto the rear wheel. As usual the paint has peeled and it looks a mess. If I take the wheel out will the outer housing unbolt and come away ?

Hope that someone has done it before and can help.

The Foggster

:nerd: Happy New Year to one and all. I have a couple of weeks off in feb so I am looking at polishing a few pieces on the V11. I want to take off the shft drive housing that attaches onto the rear wheel. As usual the paint has peeled and it looks a mess. If I take the wheel out will the outer housing unbolt and come away ?

Hope that someone has done it before and can help.

The Foggster

It's not very complicated. Do you have a proper Workshop Manual (not the owners manual)? If not they are downloadable for free at various places around the web. In this case you'll be fine with one for a slightly different model, if that's what you find first. I think the leftmost sponsor at the top of this page (MPH cycles) have some of them. Maybe they only have parts manuals, but that's enough for a lot of jobs and you'll want one of those anyway. In the long run you may want to buy printed copies of them, if you tend to not leave all and any jobs to the dealer.

Also, for this and most any other job you could think of, be sure to try the forum search functions. There are loads and loads of information, including pics, in here, of which plenty is not printed in any manual. Of course you're still welcome with any questions!

:mg:

Erm. Do yuo mean the entire bevelbox? Getting this off isn't very hard. Disconnect the torque rod, remove the wheel and pull it off. Watch out for the spacers and stuff as the wheel comes out;

The thing to be most careful of is removing the crappy paint and polishing the box. The best way to do this would be bead blasting but you can't do that with the box in one piece, it'll have to be stripped. If you use some sort of paint stripper be very careful. A lot of them are highly caustic and will attack the alloy of the box and could well damage oil seals and the like. Polishing the housing with the pinion carrier still in-situ is going to be a pain, in fact well nigh impossible. Make sure that you have worked out exactly what you want to do before you start. While removing the box is easy, the rest may be more tricky.

Pete

Thanks for the advise it looks yet again like I may have opened a can of worms. :o If I read your replies correctly removing the box would appear to be easy but it will still have its internals in which case it will weigh a ton making lifting it to carry out polishing impossible. Oh well any other suggestions???

By the way Raz I will be in Sweden in June. I am travelling from Norway across southern Sweden, then getting a ferry to Turku in Finland and then up to Lapland before travelling to the Nord Cap and then down to catch the ferry back from Norway. Its a small world.

Many thanks to you and Pete taking the time to reply.

Thanks for the advise it looks yet again like I may have opened a can of worms. :o If I read your replies correctly removing the box would appear to be easy but it will still have its internals in which case it will weigh a ton making lifting it to carry out polishing impossible. Oh well any other suggestions???

By the way Raz I will be in Sweden in June. I am travelling from Norway across southern Sweden, then getting a ferry to Turku in Finland and then up to Lapland before travelling to the Nord Cap and then down to catch the ferry back from Norway. Its a small world.

It's not heavy, I removed mine and cleaned it last winter. No drama at all. My original intention was to open it up and check bearings and stuff but I failed to pry it open and since I had no real reason to, I postponed that.

Nice plans, don't miss Trollstigen and Geiranger in Norway!

A chap wrote a letter to the MGOC GB magazine with a description of how he made his own crinkle finish paint

He rubbed down the areas without paint and used ESP (Easy Surface Preparation) to prepare the area for painting, then he mixed 1 part Hammerite Satin Dark Grey to 2 parts Hammerite Satin Black but this was still too glossy so he added talcum powder (which he says matts any paint) until the match was good. He applied 1 coat to the affected areas and left it to dry, then he used houshold Santex paint (white) for the next coat and finally added fine silver sand to his colour matched paint (mixed well to avoid lumps) for the last coat.

He claims the match is very close and much easier than trying to spray with the Harley paint (no major masking up or disassembly),so it could be the best option for you.

Hope this is useful

Dave :bier:

You read my mind Dave. If anyone is that bored the actual paint No is98606bf. Its best to spray a little at a time from a foot away. Also if you are in the UK its best to order it from Jersey harley Davidson as they are cheaper than other UK dealers but its still £18.00 a can.

I think that I will respray and find some other bits and pieces to polish.

Many Many thanks for all your help

the Foggster

Ferret breeder and

all round good egg :lol: