It wasn't me!

Molly

Just received an email from one of this forum's managers placing me on 'probation' regarding abuse of the forum.

I've no idea what it is I'm supposed to have done but on logging in did notice it said 'Last login Mar 11 2007, 07:36 AM' so there's a chance it's a mistake.

If not, would somebody point me towards whatever thread contained something offensive that I'm supposed to have posted?

Thank you.

Just received an email from one of this forum's managers placing me on 'probation' regarding abuse of the forum.

I've no idea what it is I'm supposed to have done but on logging in did notice it said 'Last login Mar 11 2007, 07:36 AM' so there's a chance it's a mistake.

If not, would somebody point me towards whatever thread contained something offensive that I'm supposed to have posted?

Thank you.

Not you Molly. Read here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12743

Guest medower

Thank you.

I had the same email. Was it sent out to everyone on the forum because I haven't posted for a loooong time. Actually this might be my first post.

Guest DOUGDANGER

Well don't know what's going on with this email that was sent to my private email. But it should have been posted on the forum. Six months probation what will I do. I've meet alot of nice people here, it just takes one. My friends can reach me at my PM or email. Good Bye

Dear All,

It appears that everyone has had the e-mail. Someone has obviously been placing materialof an offensive nature on the site. This means that the moderators have a lot of work to do clearing it up etc. Moderators are as far as I am aware unpaid or paid very little for what they do. Someone who has a real love of Moto Guzzis and V11s in particular takes a lot of time to run this site. Which I expect he / she does for very little. If i had out that much work in and it was being abused I would send exactly the same message.

The Foggster

The varied reactions to this email highlight a number of factors for all of us using this medium to communicate.

1 Tone is difficult at times to convey as far as aggression versus sarcasm versus perceived familiarity.

2. English is not everyones' first lanquage

3. People need to recognise that statements are not one-on-one, and personal reactions on a public forum will often be different than 2 people talking in a pub with no audience.

4. People read a "personal" email and have a "personal reaction" often before they have considered the medium used and the needs of the sender, and then continue to react even though they may know it isnt (in this case) about themselves but the group. (I know it's your PERSONAL EMAIL- but it also serves the function of a public web forum). In this case the personal email and public posts address possible past behaviour and is a reminder to us for future behaviour.

This is where the grenade method is less work intensive for the individual and has a dual outcome for the members of the forum.

We should have the ability as adults to see the message for what it was, and while our first reaction to it is understandable-a considered response should not really be laden with contempt, anger or shame if the message did not apply to you.

5.The grenade versus sniper method has had a much better outcome as it has included people realising and communicating the value this forum has for them, and appreciation of a person that plays the major role in making it happen.

6. Everyone has something to offer the forum, and I send my appreciation to all who have given much towards me enjoying the thing that brings all of us together here.

Cheers

Bruce

P.S Now everyone back to the cam thread so i can plan my next move for the Scura in March !

Bruce

Well said Bruce! It must be a hell of a lot of work to run this forum. The rules are clearly published & Jaap has gone along way to accomodate some who flout those rules. Now he's got hacked off by (I'm guessing) the continual cat fights & whining of a few members & reacted. Life's hard enough for anyone who steps out of the herd & does something special - as Jaap has done in creating & managing this resource. We'd all be worse off without this forum, so give the man a break, & if you don't want to play by the rules, go play somewhere else.

KB :sun: