Tell me about relays?

Molly

Yep, I think you are right. I must of been confused by a cross reference.

Apparently Tyco is headquartered off-shore of US, in Bermuda and Omron is based in Kyoto.

I forgot Guzzi switched to unsealed A1001-A402 (4 terminal) and A1001-A403 (5 terminal) , so GP was most likely simply charging MSRP.

The Tyco relays are made in Portugal.

Dan and I have direct channels to the manufacturers, so we are able to offer our MG friends wholesale prices. GP has more mouths to feed. Can't blame them for that.

So are the Tycos the same quality,performance as the omrons? I have two. Is there any issue running a mix in the board ?

Yes, you can run a mix. The Tyco's have the arc suppression resistor in them like the Omrons and GEI's. My research and inspection indicates the Omrons will have better reliability and lower voltage drop across the contacts than other brands.

I'm traveling for the next week, so I'm sorry I won't be able to help any further until I return.

Cheers, John

Guest v11rider
I've learned on this forum that the relays in my 2000 V11 are overtaxed (aren't we all...).

The previous owner has numbered the relays in my bike from one to five suggesting 'issues' and passed me a new one amongst the bike's bits and bobs. Could someone tell me what the relays do and should owners keep a few spares on hand when out and about? Oh, and are they interchangeable?

Thanks.

I experienced poor running over 5k rpm and the problem was resolved as soon as a full set of

new relays was put in. To be honest I didn't know which relay was what but I suspected the fuel pump relay to be responsible. New set was received from Dan, all relays are the 5 contact kind

and I'm glad to know they are interchangeable.

Yes, you can run a mix. The Tyco's have the arc suppression resistor in them like the Omrons and GEI's. My research and inspection indicates the Omrons will have better reliability and lower voltage drop across the contacts than other brands.

I'm traveling for the next week, so I'm sorry I won't be able to help any further until I return.

Cheers, John

I'm back!

One more detail. There has been some question in the past about possible interference with the seat because the dimensions of the GEI's and Omrons are different from the Siemens. However, I've check the height of the Tycos supplied by Guzzi on my bike, and they are the same height as the Omrons I supply, thus, I do not believe the Omrons will create any interference.

John

Guest V11RossoNigel
Thanks for the kind words, Dave. You're right that this kind of thing is a labor of love. Total sales have only been 26 sealed relays at $8, 5 unsealed at $5, and 5 donated to a generous friend. In my days at HP, where I was privy to the gross profits, these parts would have been marked up to $30 and $21 respectively.

:thumbsup:

I did not realise that you had only sold 26 sealed relays....so I feel proud to have bumped your sales figures up with my order of 10. Look forward to receiving them soon, and fitting the neat Oil Pressure Gauge. I am still pondering on where to fit the pressure gauge because my clocks and fairing all move with the steering, and I presume that the oil feed pipe to the gauge would be better if not under constant steering movement. John do you know if anyone has fitted one of your kits to a V11 naked such as mine, where the clocks etc are in movement with the steering ? If not do you think it would be better to static mount elsewhere, where there is no movement on the oil feed pipe ?

:huh2:

Cheers

Nige

. . . and fitting the neat Oil Pressure Gauge. I am still pondering on where to fit the pressure gauge because my clocks and fairing all move with the steering, and I presume that the oil feed pipe to the gauge would be better if not under constant steering movement. John do you know if anyone has fitted one of your kits to a V11 naked such as mine, where the clocks etc are in movement with the steering ? If not do you think it would be better to static mount elsewhere, where there is no movement on the oil feed pipe ?

Cheers

Nige

What oil pressur gauge? Link? Pics?

:rolleyes:

I did not realise that you had only sold 26 sealed relays....so I feel proud to have bumped your sales figures up with my order of 10. Look forward to receiving them soon, and fitting the neat Oil Pressure Gauge. I am still pondering on where to fit the pressure gauge because my clocks and fairing all move with the steering, and I presume that the oil feed pipe to the gauge would be better if not under constant steering movement. John do you know if anyone has fitted one of your kits to a V11 naked such as mine, where the clocks etc are in movement with the steering ? If not do you think it would be better to static mount elsewhere, where there is no movement on the oil feed pipe ?

Cheers

Nige

Hi Nige,

Yes, thanks. Every little bit helps. I do have an inquiry for 50 from France, so if volume builds a little, that will be great.

They were shipped out on the 24th, along with the pressure gauge kit. I've sent you an email with tracking information. It is due in the U.K. in a day or two. However, UK customs may delay things a bit.

The hose I supply is rated at several hundred psi, and yet is only 1/8", so it can take a lot of flexing, and is a hard nylon, so it is pretty hard to damage. If you are concerned about it getting pinched, use a length of 3/8 OD automotive vacuum hose about 12 inches long to run the gauge hose through. This is covered in more detail in the instructions.

If you want to use only one of the two screw locations on the adapter, one of the two stainless screws I supplied is certainly strong enough. I believe that's how it's been done before.

Cheers, John

What oil pressur gauge? Link? Pics?

:rolleyes:

Search "pressure gauge adapted" for the detailed background.

Pics and description can be seen on www.motratech.com

If you have any questions, send me a PM or email.

Cheers, John