Spring check-up,Do It!

mznyc

I think it takes a while for the bearing to disintegrate to the level that yours did. If you check the wheel bearings every time you install new tires, assuming you pull the wheels yourself, you might catch this problem before it gets too bad. Just stick your finger in the bearing and rotate it. If you feel any roughness or notchiness (is that a word?) the bearing should be replaced. A good shop will typically check for this when they install new tires.

I think it takes a while for the bearing to disintegrate to the level that yours did. If you check the wheel bearings every time you install new tires, assuming you pull the wheels yourself, you might catch this problem before it gets too bad. Just stick your finger in the bearing and rotate it. If you feel any roughness or notchiness (is that a word?) the bearing should be replaced. A good shop will typically check for this when they install new tires.

Hi Tom,

The tires were fresh a year and a half ago when I got her,so I hadn't taken rear off.Once again,no good excuse to not have at least given her a good look-see in that time.Just glad I didn't have her up to speed ,leaned over in a turn :race:

PS Ordered correct grease nozzle,thanks for the info.Do you know of a good bit and extractor to remove the couple of bolts I stripped on the spline side wheel cover :homer: Those Luigi puts in tight! :angry2:

Hi Tom,

The tires were fresh a year and a half ago when I got her,so I hadn't taken rear off.Once again,no good excuse to not have at least given her a good look-see in that time.Just glad I didn't have her up to speed ,leaned over in a turn :race:

PS Ordered correct grease nozzle,thanks for the info.Do you know of a good bit and extractor to remove the couple of bolts I stripped on the spline side wheel cover :homer: Those Luigi puts in tight! :angry2:

I guess you stripped one or more of the button head screws on the cush drive cover? I was lucky, all of mine came out no problem. I hope you're not using the notoriously undersized Craftsman allen sockets! I believe Greg F posted something about removing those screws if you strip one, you might want to search for his advice. It might have been suggested that you try pounding a torx driver into the hole. If that doesn't work I'd drill the head(s) off, remove the plate, then grab the remaining stub with vice grips. I've read that drilling the head with a left handed drill bit will often back the screw right out, but I haven't actually done this. For broken screw extractors I've only used old fashioned EZ-outs.

Weld a hexagon nut on the rest of the bolts. The heat will loosen the glue and then you can easily screw it out. Next time you better look into some manual before you destroy something. There's no need to disassemble the whole bike just for changing the bearings.

Hubert

Weld a hexagon nut on the rest of the bolts. The heat will loosen the glue and then you can easily screw it out. Next time you better look into some manual before you destroy something. There's no need to disassemble the whole bike just for changing the bearings.

Hubert

Hmm dont understand what ya mean Hubert, the "some manual" you suggest I look into was the Guzzi shop manual,which requires removing the cush drive cover. Hardly "disassembling the whole bike". :wacko: It is also a problem that many members have had with these screws.

Hey look on the the bright side, I won't be working on YOUR bike! <_>

Guess how I came to the hint with the welded nut ;)

In fact there is no need to remove this part unless you want to check and lube the cush drive. Do they really say the cush drive cover should be removed if one needs to change the bearings? Funny. I haven't checked this yet.

Hubert

BTW, it may have sounded a bit rude. That was not the intention.

I guess you stripped one or more of the button head screws on the cush drive cover? I was lucky, all of mine came out no problem. I hope you're not using the notoriously undersized Craftsman allen sockets! I believe Greg F posted something about removing those screws if you strip one, you might want to search for his advice. It might have been suggested that you try pounding a torx driver into the hole. If that doesn't work I'd drill the head(s) off, remove the plate, then grab the remaining stub with vice grips. I've read that drilling the head with a left handed drill bit will often back the screw right out, but I haven't actually done this. For broken screw extractors I've only used old fashioned EZ-outs.

Turning the bolt with a few taps on a small chisle worked for me,but others here have said that the best way is to warm the bolts first to soften the thread lock before attempting to remove them.

Getting the bearings out is tricky as the spacer between them gets in the way, I bought a bearing puller in the end which made it easy.

Hi Tom,

It was a Craftsmen allen, :homer: always used them on the Hondas never had a problem,maybe Guzzi is oversized :D .What do you guys recommend for a quality set of allen t-wrenches that the Guzzi prefers?

PS Got all the screws out except for the last one,but it's days are numbered! :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

The Craftsman allens are notoriously undersized. If you don't throw yours away or hide them so you'll never find them again, your Guzzi will likely suffer continued mayhem. <_< Bondhus makes high-grade tool steel allens of proper dimensions that're fairly easy to find at tool suppliers. I like the long-handle set of 8 metrics from 1.5 mm to 10 mm. :thumbsup:

NOTE: I sent Craftsman a detailed account of how many people I know who've always relied on many Craftsman tools (like Yours Truly), explaining the problem with their allen wrenches (it seems to apply to ALL their allen sets) on their Consumer Hotline (or some such) via email. No reply. <_<

The Craftsman allens are notoriously undersized. If you don't throw yours away or hide them so you'll never find them again, your Guzzi will likely suffer continued mayhem. <_ bondhus makes high-grade tool steel allens of proper dimensions that fairly easy to find at suppliers. i like the long-handle set metrics from mm mm. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_duim.gif" alt=":thumbsup:">

NOTE: I sent Craftsman a detailed account of how many people I know who've always relied on many Craftsman tools (like Yours Truly), explaining the problem with their allen wrenches (it seems to apply to ALL their allen sets) on their Consumer Hotline (or some such) via email. No reply. <_>

Thanks RH,I'll check em out,

PS your up early

Guest frankdugo

i carry a set of "lisle" hex socket on the bike.can even use em with impact driver ,breaker bar. got to get another set for the garage/livingroom.

OK got bearings out and wheel back in,all lubed up nice an clean.

Question,should the LH swingarm be flush up against the bearing inner?seems like there should be a washer/spacer there.No mention in the shop manual <_ .didn see one in my original pic before i took er apart think lost anything src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_huh.png" alt=":huh:">

Any thoughts would be welcome,

Thanks,

Michael

DSCN0389.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg