FBF Open Air Box Conversion

v50man

I've gotta pull the damn tank to get a look at this tipover valve (mad tank suck), so I figured while I was in there...

Quat-D exhaust is only other mechanical modification.

Can stock chip be tuned to utilize this setup, or do I need the Power Commander?

THanks.

While your bike may run OK without a PCIII, it will be pretty lean with no airbox lid, no stock crossover, and better-than-stock flowing exhaust. You could tweak the TPS to richen it up a bit, but I think the PCIII is a better fix.

Thanks -- but that's not what I was hoping to hear.

Dang.

While your bike may run OK without a PCIII, it will be pretty lean with no airbox lid, no stock crossover, and better-than-stock flowing exhaust. You could tweak the TPS to richen it up a bit, but I think the PCIII is a better fix.

FWIW, I put on Staintunes (without baffles) and open airbox, standard crossover, and had it checked on a dyno. No need for Power Commander, as the original mapping was too rich. You can see my dyno chart on the pinned thread above.

My bike is an '04 Cafe Sport.

If you have a Quat-D you should get a PCIII.

I think you will find the bike more prone to pinging with the lidless air box, in which case you will be even more in need of some way of re-mapping.

Rip the lid off, and get a PCIII! You won't regret the money well spent!

But put money into suspension and tires first...

This is just my opinion, but it is not based on nothing . . .

Yes, you will pick up some power with the lidless conversion and guaze (K&n or other) filter. For now. What will you be left with 10,000 miles later, when all the dirt that gauze filter let through degrades your ring seal?

My bet is less than if you had stuck with a paper filter.

For no money, you can cut some holes in your airbox, per Phil A.'s pattern, keeping the paper filter, and net slightly more peak hp than with the lidless guaze thing. Initially, however, the lidless gauze thing will have meaningfully more midrange, for the short term, at least.

FWIW, I'd advise cutting your airbox and fitting a paper filter for the long-haul . . .

I fitted a Ferracci airbox kit a few years ago. Clean and re-lube the filter every 6 months.

As to power increase, seat of the pants, I don't think so. The induction roar is quite pleasing to the ear however.

I think next time I'd save my money and drill holes, and pull off the noise induction snorkels off the top of the factory cover.

Steve

This is just my opinion, but it is not based on nothing . . .

Yes, you will pick up some power with the lidless conversion and guaze (K&n or other) filter. For now. What will you be left with 10,000 miles later, when all the dirt that gauze filter let through degrades your ring seal?

My bet is less than if you had stuck with a paper filter.

For no money, you can cut some holes in your airbox, per Phil A.'s pattern, keeping the paper filter, and net slightly more peak hp than with the lidless guaze thing. Initially, however, the lidless gauze thing will have meaningfully more midrange, for the short term, at least.

FWIW, I'd advise cutting your airbox and fitting a paper filter for the long-haul . . .

Agreed on all points! :thumbsup: