Disturbing Noises

Guest V11RossoNigel

Guest V11RossoNigel

Can anyone set my mind to rest...... I have just got my V11 Naked back from its first 1000 mile service, I notice when the mechanic was changing oil he put in a 10/60 fully synthetic, now I seem to hear a low rumble from the engine, is this because the thinner oil has less noise deadening properties (a bit of a long shot), or could the noise be something more sinister (red light has never come on during accelaration) so to my knowledge there has never been any oil starvation to the pick-up, (will be fitting Roper Plate at end of season)..........The other noise is clutch.....I previously owned a Rosso Mandello with a single plate clutch, so was quite noisy, as expected.......however when I purchased the new V11 Naked I was told that it had twin plate clutch and these were very much quieter........well it was, up untill this first service, Nothing was done to the clutch but now when engaged it is far louder that the Rosso, I rode straight back to the dealer to express my concern of the sudden engine and clutch noise, but was told this was quite normal....well it does sound a little excessive to me.....any thoughts would be much appreciated.

:wacko:

Cheers

Nige

Can anyone set my mind to rest...... I have just got my V11 Naked back from its first 1000 mile service, I notice when the mechanic was changing oil he put in a 10/60 fully synthetic, now I seem to hear a low rumble from the engine, is this because the thinner oil has less noise deadening properties (a bit of a long shot), or could the noise be something more sinister (red light has never come on during accelaration) so to my knowledge there has never been any oil starvation to the pick-up, (will be fitting Roper Plate at end of season)..........The other noise is clutch.....I previously owned a Rosso Mandello with a single plate clutch, so was quite noisy, as expected.......however when I purchased the new V11 Naked I was told that it had twin plate clutch and these were very much quieter........well it was, up untill this first service, Nothing was done to the clutch but now when engaged it is far louder that the Rosso, I rode straight back to the dealer to express my concern of the sudden engine and clutch noise, but was told this was quite normal....well it does sound a little excessive to me.....any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nige

They are noisey old trucks. The twin plate from my experience is actually noisier than the single plate. The 10W60 will have no effect on the engine being noisier.

I've got over 45K on mine, and if anything, the engine/clutch/gearbox seem to be getting quieter.

I think ear plug would come in handy!

Steve

The other noise is clutch.....I previously owned a Rosso Mandello with a single plate clutch, so was quite noisy, as expected.......however when I purchased the new V11 Naked I was told that it had twin plate clutch and these were very much quieter........well it was, up untill this first service, Nothing was done to the clutch but now when engaged it is far louder that the Rosso, I rode straight back to the dealer to express my concern of the sudden engine and clutch noise, but was told this was quite normal....well it does sound a little excessive to me.....any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nige

My understanding [which could be completely wrong] is that the single plate clutches make noise all the time, except when disengaged, while the double plates make noise only when disengaged, but it's much louder. Hence, kicking it into neutral & letting the clutch out at stops, so you don't have to sit there watching your left arm pump up while listening to the gravel in a blender sound of the disengaged clutch rattle... ;)

Personally, I'd love for Guzzi to work out a contra-rotating multiplate wet clutch to counteract some of the gyroscopic f/x & provide more resilience than the automotive style dry clutch, but that's never gonna happen! :lol:

if it sounds like it's coming apart with the clutch lever pulled in, it is perfectly normal. If and when I have to replace the clutch I will figure out why it is making a noise like that!!!!!

Guest ratchethack
if it sounds like it's coming apart with the clutch lever pulled in, it is perfectly normal. If and when I have to replace the clutch I will figure out why it is making a noise like that!!!!!

No need to have it apart. It's the intermediate plate rattling on the splines of the input shaft due to variations in rotation velocity caused by the 90-degree twin firing order at idle. Increasing RPMs smooths out the variations. Somewhere below 2K RPM and above, there isn't any sound a-tall. :mg:

No need to have it apart. It's the intermediate plate rattling on the splines of the input shaft due to variations in rotation velocity caused by the 90-degree twin firing order at idle. Increasing RPMs smooths out the variations. Somewhere below 2K RPM and above, there isn't any sound a-tall. :mg:

If you find yourself near a California based Guzzi, you will notice that both the clutch and gearbox chatter are hugely less noisey than the V11, resulting from their much heavier flywheel, eliminating the situation that Ratchethack talks about.

Steve

Guest V11RossoNigel

Thanks all you guys for your input, put my mind at rest for a while, untill the next funny noise ha ha, it was just strange that the clutch suddenly was noisy, it was not a gradual thing, that was what alerted me to a potential problem.

With regard to the idle....yes we did lower the idle slighty as was a little high, so I would not have noticed the engine noise before, now when revs are taken just above 1000 then the lower engine rumble ceases.

So thanks again I have a 1500 mile trip to do in just over a week, so wanted the bike in fine fettle, maybe earplugs as suggested would be a good idea, as I am a bit of a sod for listening for strange noises, then they play on my mind. Therefore if I cannot hear I will not worry.

:thumbsup:

Cheers for now

Nige

Thanks all you guys for your input, put my mind at rest for a while, untill the next funny noise ha ha, it was just strange that the clutch suddenly was noisy, it was not a gradual thing, that was what alerted me to a potential problem.

With regard to the idle....yes we did lower the idle slighty as was a little high, so I would not have noticed the engine noise before, now when revs are taken just above 1000 then the lower engine rumble ceases.

So thanks again I have a 1500 mile trip to do in just over a week, so wanted the bike in fine fettle, maybe earplugs as suggested would be a good idea, as I am a bit of a sod for listening for strange noises, then they play on my mind. Therefore if I cannot hear I will not worry.

:thumbsup:

Cheers for now

Nige

Funny you mention idle speed. I'm in the habit of leaving my fast idle thing on [what some think is a choke] as it reduces the engine braking that is so characteristic with this EFI equipped engine. I actually don't have a problem with 1500 rpm idle, as you say, it reduces mechanical noise.

Steve