My Guzzi leaks gasoline!

JoeV11

When I park my '04 V11 Sport, after a while gas comes out of the overflow hose. If I open the gas cap there is a great whoosh of pressure being released (the tank gets slightly smaller too). It happens until I burn at least a gallon of gas from full, so I don't think it is from being over filled. Any ideas on how to stop this? If it matters, I removed the charcoal cannister when the Stucchi crossover was installed. Thanks, Joe

When I park my '04 V11 Sport, after a while gas comes out of the overflow hose. If I open the gas cap there is a great whoosh of pressure being released (the tank gets slightly smaller too). It happens until I burn at least a gallon of gas from full, so I don't think it is from being over filled. Any ideas on how to stop this? If it matters, I removed the charcoal cannister when the Stucchi crossover was installed. Thanks, Joe

There are 2 drainage holes in the filler cap assembly, from memory the one on the left is to allow rain water/spilt fuel to drain away and the one on the right is the tank breather.I suspect that the tank breather pipe is blocked so fuel that is expanded by external heat or by passing though the fuel pump circuit is getting out past the fuel cap seal and draining out the left hand drain instead.If I remember correctly the cap is held on by 3 of the bolts 10 , 2 and 6 oclock and 1 bolt under the cap?With the cap assembly removed you should be able to check the drains for blockages and clean them out.

Guest frankdugo

also the fuel pressure check valve located under the tank could be in the wrong position or just bad.very common problem.i removed mine.---by the way passo,hugh laurie,is the star of the current show "house" here in the states--fox broadcasting.

Hey Joe,

I just fixed this problem on my 2000 V11S. There is a tube built into the tank that connects the drainage hole at the cap to the outlet at the base of the tank, to which the drainage hose is affixed. Mine had a small perforation in it a couple of inches below the filler cap which would leak out through the overflow hose whenever the tank was full, and particularly when it was pressurized.

I fixed it by using a hose clamp to clamp a small section of gas-line hose over the hole, slitting the hose so that it could be slipped over the internal tube. I couldn't actually see where the perforation was on mine, but by covering the overflow hole at the filler neck with my finger and blowing through the overflow hose I could see and hear the bubbles, and so was able to manoeuvre the clamp around till it blocked the leak. I was able to get a small wrench on the hose clamp through the filler hole and tighten it down.

I'm not sure, but I may have read that some later V11s have the gas pump inside the tank. If this is so there must be more access to the tank internals. I was lucky that it was close enough to the filler orifice that it could all be done through there,

Good luck!

Lucky