misfiring cylinder

pawel3547

Hello guys and please help!

I bought '00 V11 sport 3 weeks ago, everything was fine with until now. the left cylinder is misfiring. actually you can start it but you have to hold throttle all the time and is still coughing and choking, once you let it go the engine stops. The right cylinder is working fine. The bike was sitting in the garage for the past 3 years and nobody was riding it. what do you recommend to do first?

If the left cylinder is definitely not firing the first thing I'd do is put in a new spark plug. Check for spark before screwing it in.

edit: The next thing I'd do is look to see if the throttle body came loose from the intake boot and/or see if the boot is torn.

If the simple checks above are all good, go the tune-up procedure pinned at the top of the Technical Topics forum.

If the simple checks above are all good, go the tune-up procedure pinned at the top of the Technical Topics forum.

I checked everything you said. Spark plugs good, wires good, fuel pump good, coil good, compresion is good. Still the same thing. The cylinder is not firing. Maybe is it a fuel injector? if it is where can I get it?

Go to a Auto parts store and buy a "Bosch" style noid light to see if there is fuel injector pulse on that connector. If so ( and you suspect the injector) you need to send both injectors to Lindertech in Indiana to have them tested and flow-rated for your own satisfaction. If you have time and can , swap sides to see if the injector misses on the opposite side! It will be cheapest if you did this step FIRST!!!!!

I checked everything you said. Spark plugs good, wires good, fuel pump good, coil good, compresion is good. Still the same thing. The cylinder is not firing. Maybe is it a fuel injector? if it is where can I get it?

I'll bet it turns out to be simpler than that. Did you look closely at the rubber intakes to be sure one has not popped loose?

I'll bet it turns out to be simpler than that. Did you look closely at the rubber intakes to be sure one has not popped loose?

Good idea.

Earlier I had noticed with my WBO2 meter that one side was leaner running than the other. I compensated for it with balance and the air screws, but I began to notice more popping, so put the meter back on and it had gotten worse, with lambda of over 1 (too lean) on the left side.

I sprayed some WD40 around the intakes while idling and found no increase in rpm, but I did notice the lambda drop(get richer).

The air leak is where the rubber intake meets the aluminum intake, between engine and throttle body. Between throttle body and rubber it was fine.

I also tested the right side and it had the same problem but not as drastic.

Tightening it helped only very little, so I took it all apart, cleaned and conditioned the rubber with some rubber protectant/conditoner, and now I have to put it back together. I will CAREFULLY add some silicone RV to ensure a good seal.

It also gave me a chance to clean out the TBs and spray the injector jets with cleaner from inside the TB. Now that I think of it, I should clean out the bypasses, too.

Back to the garage...

Yep, I checked it. The rubber intakes are good. atleast I think they are. I couldn't figure it out what is going on. I took it to dealer. We'll see what happend. I will keep you post it.

I sprayed electronics cleaner all around my throttle bodies. By spraying the spring on the lower shaft, I was able to stabilize the rpm and get it to increase.

Is there a rebuild for the shaft seals? A washer or o-ring? I could find no diagram in the shop manual.

Pawel, good luck with your dealer support. I hope it does turn out to be something simple!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys. I got the bike a couple weeks ago. The dealer was a huge mistake, they held a bike for 2 weeks and couldn't figure it out. I found a great mechanic and I took it there. It turned out that there wasn't an electrical power in connection for fuel injector. He disconected it, cleaned it and connected again. It was working but the bike was still week, so he adjusted valves and that did a trick. Now the bike is riding better then before I had that problem.

Thanks you guys for advice. :thumbsup: