Does pulling plugs on V11 work like old bikes?

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

On my850T you can 'ballance' the carbs as far as idle goes by pulling the spark plug wire from each side in turn and adjusting until the bike just turns over two or three times and dies.

Would this method work with the newer bikes such as the V11? I am not planning on doing this but was just interested to know if the old method would work on the newer systems.

Lee

No. It's a crap way of setting up carbs at the best of times and was obviously suggested by a retard.

With an ECU you risk a much greater chance of frying the ECU by pulling one HT lead than you do of just frying a coil in a points system.

A set of guages or a twinmax costs very little. Spend the money and do the job correctly.

Pete

PS Did you get your 850 brakes sorted Lee?

If you're really cheap like me you can make your own manometer. I made mine for well under $5.00. You don't need restrictors since the nipples on the V11 intakes have tiny holes. I used ATF as a fluid since it's easy to see. It works fine!

Here's mine:

IMG_0024.jpg

I used intructions from here: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

Guest frankdugo

tom,could you explain a little more--i get alot of mind blanks.i made one from the instructions on the british site but have yet to use it because the tubeing does not match up to the openings from which the polution hoses were removed, and from where i assumed they would attach.you mentioned nipples ---am i trying to attach at the wrong place? thanks frank

on the intake manifold there was a hose going to the Evap container or into a mess of hose. If they got removed usually theres a hose linking the two sides.. maybe you have them plgged w/a (6mm?) bolt? the nipples were on there to feed the polution stuff and can be used to hook up the vacuum gauge if you still have them.

Guest frankdugo

well thanks foto ,if my head was not attached i'd lose it. been so long since the pollution stuff has been off forgot all about them[ the nice little brass nipples]---now i can have a good time and play with my gadget

Guest Britcheflee
On my850T you can 'ballance' the carbs as far as idle goes by pulling the spark plug wire from each side in turn and adjusting until the bike just turns over two or three times and dies.

Would this method work with the newer bikes such as the V11? I am not planning on doing this but was just interested to know if the old method would work on the newer systems.

Lee

Pete,

Yes, I got a MC and ss brake line and caliper off e bay for a fair price (from a 2003 EV) - I have installed the mc and brake line to exisiting caliper which really did help - no need to squeeze like crazy on the brakes - I would like to install the caliper as well, but it is from the left disc and my disc is on the right - this means I have to get an adaptor for the caliper and transfer the disc to the other side - I think this will be a project for later as I am busy with other projects.

Lee